Whether you want to save the environment or save money, cloth diapers are a great alternative to disposable ones. But you may be asking yourself how many cloth diapers do I need – and is it worth the cost?
What Are Cloth Diapers?
Gerber Birdseye Flatfold Cloth Diapers, White, 10 Count
- Please confirm the size before purchasing. Inapproriate size may lead to leakage issue or can cause rashes"
- Size: 24" x 27"
- Comfortable, recyclable and reusable
Before disposable diapers became commonplace in the 1950s, cloth diapers were the only option. They’re traditionally a square piece of white fabric made from cotton (called a flat) and secured with safety pins on either side of the baby’s hip.
Unisex Baby Cloth Pocket Diapers 7 Pack
- NO LEAKS - Snug leg openings and waterproof cover, breathable suede cloth is soft on baby's skin
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Our customer service in unparalleled and we are committed our customers. If you are not 100%...
- GROWS WITH YOUR CHILD - Adjustable snap layout fits babies and toddlers from 10 to 33 pounds so you save time and money...
Nowadays, however, cloth diapers come in a variety of colors, patterns, and materials.
How Many Cloth Diapers Do I Need?
Newborns require more diaper changes, which means you will need more cloth diapers at your disposal. With just 20, however, you will want to do a laundry load of just diapers every day to ensure you don’t run out!
As your baby grows, you need fewer diapers, which also means you can go a bit longer between laundry loads.
Ultimately, how many cloth diapers you need depends on your lifestyle.
Should I Use Cloth Diapers?
Now that you know how many cloth diapers you need, you have to decide whether they’re right for you and your family!
Pros of using cloth diapers
While the upfront investment can be high, cloth diapers can be cost-effective in the long run.
ALVABABY Cloth Diaper One Size Adjustable Washable Reusable for Baby Girls and Boys 6 Pack
- FASHION & STYLISH －Why not get these reusable, washable super-absorbent and comfortable cloth nappies / diapers, which...
- HIGH QUALITY, ADJUSTABLE, REUSABLE & WATERPROOF －Outer layer: polyester with waterproof and breathable TPU .It's...
- SAVE MONEY & ECO-FRIENDLY－Our reusable cloth diapers are designed for families who require premium products. Suitable...
A case of over 100 diapers can cost the same as a 12-pack of reusable diapers. But your newborn can use all of those disposable diapers within two weeks. And then you have to buy another case.
Plus, cloth diapers can be more environmentally friendly. Rather than adding bundles of poop to the growing landfills, you can flush it away and reuse the diaper! And if you’re concerned about using cotton, which requires copious amounts of water to grow, there are other material options such as bamboo.
Cons of using cloth diapers
As busy parents of a newborn, cloth diapers may seem like a hassle! You might spend more on disposable diapers, but you’re also paying for the convenience of not doing another load of laundry or carrying around dirty diapers in public.
Additionally, doing laundry may not be cost-effective where you live. If your region is experiencing a drought, or if you have high electricity and water costs, disposable diapers may save you money. And if you don’t have a washing machine at home, cloth diapers can be extremely inconvenient.
Plus, if your partner or daycare provider doesn’t want to use them, cloth diapers may add unnecessary stress to your life.
Ready to Join the Cloth Diaper Club?
Do you have any recommendations for using cloth diapers? Let us know in the comments!
Featured image source: amazon