What Makes a Product a Baby Essential for Newborns?Knowing which products are essential for your newborn and which are a waste of money isn’t always easy. A newborn may not need things like brand-name clothing, but there may be some things you’ll need that haven’t crossed your mind yet. Then there are some things that are just nice to have because they make your sleep-deprived life a little easier. To shift through which products are essential for your newborn, think about your lifestyle. Diapers, for example, are a must-have for many people in the 21st century. These could make your list unless you plan to use cloth diapers, which many environmentally-friendly parents opt for in an effort to cut down on landfill waste. Bathing products are also essential for anyone who doesn’t know how to make their own soaps and cleansers. Where many people used to create their own bath products, baby cleansers today are explicitly made to keep babies safe and clean.
Why Every New Mother Needs These Baby Essentials?New moms don’t really know what they’re getting into until it happens, which is why taking advice from more experienced mothers is the easiest way to know precisely what essentials must make your shopping list. These baby essentials are all things you’re going to need eventually, so you might as well prepare before your newborn arrives. Don’t worry, even minimalist parents find these essentials as must-haves.
Make Sure You Know How to Use Newborn Baby Essentials RightAbove all, the safety of your newborn is imperative. Make sure you use each product the right way or you could risk the safety of the child. Babies are still in essential developmental phases and what happens during this time of a child’s life could make or break their future.
The Newborn Baby Essentials List that New Mothers Must HaveThese are the top products that every single new mother, whether you’re a minimalist or not, will need to purchase before the baby comes. Many expecting moms like to put these items on their baby registries, while others say these items are way too important to leave up to someone else – especially if you have a particular theme or design in mind for your nursery. Most parents opt to select the more important essentials like a crib themselves and leave some of the less important items for the registry. Whatever you choose to do, use this list as a guide and check off your newborn essentials after you buy each one to ensure you don’t mind anything. Here’s the only list every newborn mother should have:
CribA crib is your baby’s sleeping place, and newborns will sleep a lot. While some parents decide to instead use a co-sleeper or keep the baby in bed with you, a crib allows your baby a place of their own to catch some zzz’s. Don’t skimp out on the crib either. Second-hand options may not be safe, and many new cribs come with a manufacturer’s warranty that may come in handy. Don’t forget your other crib essentials, such as a waterproof mattress pad and crib sheets that will fit the mattress pad snugly. If you can’t buy a waterproof mattress pad, look for waterproof mattress protectors. Buying two protectors is recommended in case of an accident. Avoid pillows though, as they’re considered a SIDS risk for newborns.
- 4-IN-1 CRIB: Easily converts from crib to daybed, toddler bed and full-size bed with headboard (mattress sold...
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: Designed to adapt to your growing baby, the Graco Benton features a 3-position adjustable...
- UNIVERSAL DESIGN: Available in multiple non-toxic finishes, the Benton was designed to easily match any nursery décor
DiapersWhether you choose cloth or disposable diapers, begin stocking up way before your baby arrives. This is one of the most important things you’ll need for your newborn and stocking up in advance could save you a late-night trip to the store when you run out of diapers. This essential doesn’t go bad either, so many parents find you can never have enough in storage. If your baby grows out of the size, you can always give the leftovers away to another new mom. Other parents opt to instead only purchase a couple of cases of diapers in case the baby is larger than expected or ends up growing quicker than you thought. Swaddlers is a popular diaper brand among parents and new moms especially because they’re super absorbent. They even turn blue when it becomes wet, which alerts you when it’s time to change the diaper or if there’s a spill.
- Recommended Weight: upto 10 Pounds. Pampers Swadlers size N
- Wetness Indicator lets you know when your baby might need a change
- Soft,Stretchy Sides Helps the diaper stay in place,flexing with baby's every move
Swaddling BlanketA cloth that you wrap around your newborn, a swaddling cloth or blanket is important for keeping your child comfy and warm. Where loose blankets are frowned upon when it comes to sleeping babies, a swaddling cloth or blanket tucks in your newborn and reduces the risk of suffocation. Babies love to be swaddled, and you’ll find a soft blanket is the best thing to calm a crying newborn.
- Multipurpose Baby Swaddle Blankets – Cute and comfortable, these swaddling blankets for babies can be used to support...
- Larger Size for Better Coverage – Comfy Cubs baby boy and baby girl swaddle blankets are a generous 47” x 47” in...
- Soft, Breathable, and Absorbent – We use premium-quality muslin cotton in our soft swaddle blankets which means they...
ClothingYour newborn will need clothing. Although brand names aren’t important because children grow out of them too quickly, there are a few things you will need to make it through the first year including:
- Onesies – This is more or less all your newborn will wear during the first year, as the snaps make it easier to change diapers. Expect to have 8 onesies, with a mix of long and short sleeves.
- Nightgowns – Give your newborn something cute to sleep in until their cord falls off. Five nightgowns are normally enough.
- Shoes and socks – They may seem silly for a person who’s not walking yet, but socks and shoes keep your child’s feet warm on outings. Eight pairs of socks and a couple of pairs of shoes is good.
- Hats – Because we lose heat through our heads the most, a hat or baby beanie will keep your newborn warm at all times. Most parents recommend getting two hats in case you lose one.
- Coats – Cold winter weather makes a good coat a must-have, especially for your newborn. Find a warm coat with a hood. Keep a warmer coat a light jacket on hand.
- Includes five organic Gerber short sleeve onesies bodysuits
- Soft organic cotton rib
- Higher-in-the-front bottom snap closure for easy changing
Baby Sling/WrapBeing able to move around with your baby strapped to your chest will soon become essential whether you go into public or simply attempt to clean the house. Newborns will enjoy snuggling up to mom, and you can cook or get things done as you see fit. The Baby K’tan Original Baby Carrier is a wrap mom love because it keeps stranger’s hands and debris off your baby and is easy to use.
- ❤Specialized Design For Newborns:Specialized versatile baby carrier wrap sling provides newborns with powerful...
- ❤Easy Breastfeeding:Easy to breastfeed, it even acts as a privacy shield for nursing moms because you can nurse while...
- ❤Free Your Hands:The shoulder has padding for added comfort,you won't feel tried or pain even carry for a long time.
Food and FormulaMost new moms breastfeed for the first 4-6 months of their child’s life and begin implementing formula and baby food around the 4-month mark. It’s okay to use formula earlier if needed as well. Breastfeeding moms don’t really need a lot of extra equipment. If you plan to breastfeed, you may need a few breastfeeding essentials as well, including:
- Breast pump
- Lanolin cream or lotion for sore nipples
- Lots of bibs and burp cloths
- Milk storage containers
- Breast pads
- Nursing bras
- Nursing pillow
- Thermal bottle carrier
- Unique 3-piece anti-colic baby bottle design draws the air away from the milk—which means 80% less discomfort, and...
- Award-winning breast-like nipple for a natural latch and easy transition between breast and baby bottle—the ideal...
- Heat-sensing technology turns straw pink when baby’s feed is too hot, giving you extra assurance
Cleansers and LotionsGentle baby cleansers make bath time fun for kids and are safe to use on newborns. The soap won’t hurt if it gets into the little one’s eyes, and they’re safe to use daily. Many parents also consider buying a baby bathtub the family can use from newborn until toddler years. These make bath time easier, especially if your home only has a shower or lacks bathtub space. Newborns are easy to wash in the sink as well, so many traveling parents find a small tub that will fit in the sink instead. Depending on where you live, lotion may also be essential. Not everyone needs to use lotion daily, but if you live in a dry climate, it may be more important. Babies are also known to have more sensitive skin that gets dried out easier than adults, so you’ll want to keep their skin soft and smooth.
- EASY TO CLEAN – The mesh material allows water to drain easily from the bath support and dries quickly
- USE DIRECTLY IN BATH TUB - Easy to use on daily basis, you can place it directly into your bath tub. Fits inside the...
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – Ergonomically designed for your baby's comfort and safety, with soft-touch material that is gentle...
A Soothing Toy or PacifierWhen your baby starts crying, a soothing toy or pacifier can save the day. However, because every family and child finds a different thing soothing, many parents begin with a Wubbanub. These toys are great when you don’t know what your baby will prefer yet because they’re both a comfort toy and pacifier in one. Not only can your newborn spit out the pacifier as many times as they want without it getting lost, but you also have an entertaining toy your baby can hold onto.
Alternatives to ConsiderDepending on your lifestyle, you may have a few other essentials come up. Then there are some things that are just nice to have. Consider the following items for your baby
- Car seat/baby carrier – If you drive a car daily, you’ll need to get a baby carrier for your newborn, and remember to invest in a car seat as your child grows.
- Diaper bag – Most moms consider a diaper bag an essential because it allows you to keep all your baby’s changing needs in one place and you can easily grab it and go when you need it. While any bag can be used to store your needs, baby diaper bags have easy-to-access pockets.
- Changing table – Having a set place for changing dirty diapers with all your needs within reach is a must for some moms, but you need to make sure to always use the safety straps and keep the table away from windows and radiators.
- Stroller – Some parents enjoy going for long walks or prefer not to wear their newborn on their chest all the time, so a stroller that converts from a reclining infant position to a more upright seat allows you to use the same option even longer.
- Bouncy chair or baby swing – Many parents swear by their bouncy chairs and baby swings because they’re a hands-free way to keep newborns entertained. They’re safe for little ones while you get something done and installation is easy for beginners.
- Thermometer – A child under the age of 3 months cannot use ear thermometers, so you’ll need a newborn safe model on hand in case your baby falls ill.
- Hairbrush and comb – Grooming essentials are nice to have if your newborn has more than a small tuft of hair. They tend to have soft bristles for sensitive newborns.
- Bassinet – Some parents enjoy getting a crib for most sleeping most nights and a bassinet to use for shorter day trips or sleeping around the living room at nap time.
- Rocking chair – Sleepless nights in a rocking chair or glider can give you a hands-free way to soothe your newborn back to sleep.
- Baby monitor – Keep an ear on your child while they’re in the other room, which may be essential if you have a large house.
- Baby proofing – Baby gates, outlet covers, and latches for cabinets, drawers, or toilets can keep little ones safe around the house, but it isn’t as important with a newborn as it is with a toddler who’s constantly moving around the home.
Final ThoughtsThe most important baby essentials for you will depend on your lifestyle, but there are a few things every new mom needs. Check off the items on this list as you buy. With this trusted guide, you can build a complete kit of essentials that should make life easier for both you and your newborn.
Last update on 2021-06-24 at 23:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API