Getting started practicing good oral hygiene with your kids should start as early as possible. Pediatricians recommend that parents take care of their baby’s gums before they start teething to keep bacteria away. Establishing a routine to get baby used to rubbing their gums with a damp washcloth is a great way to get them ready for using toothbrushes when they get older.
You can get started brushing with an infant toothbrush once the teeth come in by using a manual soft toothbrush made for infants. Once your child is around three years old, they should have their full set of teeth, and then they can graduate to using an electric toothbrush.
Using an electric toothbrush can also be a fun way to keep toddlers interested in taking care of their teeth. Choosing soft bristles will help to prevent any potential damage to young, sensitive teeth and gums that could make your child reluctant to practice frequent brushing.
How We Chose Our Favorites
Accuracy is important to us, so to choose our top picks, we examine customer reviews and testimonials, as well as data about the toothbrushes, and the general reputation of the brand.
Top 10 Best Electric Toothbrushes For Kids
Philips Sonicare for Kids
- 98% of parents say it’s easier to get kids to brush longer and better
- 91% of dental professional parents prefer Sonicare for Kids for their own children
- Interactive free app educates and gets kids excited about brushing. Exciting rewards for successful brushing sessions
The Philips Sonicare for Kids is for children ages three and up. With Philips sonic technology, the electric toothbrush delivers around 500 strokes per second making it more effective at cleaning than a manual toothbrush and reportedly better at removing plaque so that your child can have better dental checkups.
The Philips Sonicare has a timer that parents can set to guarantee their child brushes for the American Dental Association’s recommended two minutes per session. The toothbrush has Bluetooth and can connect to a specially designed app that helps them learn how to brush as it guides them through cleaning each of the mouth’s four quadrants on their paired tablet or device.
When your child has finished brushing their teeth, they will receive a reward, and as they stack up their tooth brushing over time, they can track achievements on the app’s dashboard. Parents can also use the app to double check if their child has brushed that day and for how long. With eight interchangeable stickers, your child can have fun by changing the look of their toothbrush to suit their mood and feel like they have a new toothbrush every day.
Parents say it’s one of the best electric toothbrushes for kids because it helps their child feel engaged, and they actually look forward to brushing and racking up their rewards on the application.
Oral-B Kids Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
- Its distinct shape allows the toothbrush head to surround each tooth for individual cleaning
- With a waterproof handle, this electric toothbrush uses a Sensitive Clean toothbrush head for a gentle brushing
- Makes it a breeze for your kids to develop healthy brushing habits
This Oral-B Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush comes with two sensitive brush heads so that you have an additional one on hand when the time comes to replace the original. The head has a unique shape that is designed to encircle each tooth to ensure they all get thoroughly cleaned. The toothbrush includes a charging station.
If you download Oral-B’s Disney Magic Timer App and scan the toothbrush’s packaging, your child will receive a secret image as they brush their teeth for the two minutes recommended by dentists. The toothbrush will also pulse quickly a couple of times every 30 seconds to indicate brushing should move on to the next quadrant.
The app also features a calendar and rewards to track progress and encourages getting into the habit of brushing. Many parents liked that it was effortless to use, and with the Disney app, their kids were very interested in brushing their teeth, making it fun to keep up with the brushing routines.
Apiyoo Kids Electric Toothbrush
- 【Soft Sonic Technology】Gentle 16,800 strokes per minutes more suitable for kids, make the brush head vibrate...
- 【3 Optional Modes, Focus on Children's Oral】Young, Child, Clean to meet dental needs of different age children, give...
- 【Smart Timer and Quad Pacer】2 minutes auto-timer with interval pause reminding per 30 seconds, as an alert to change...
The Apiyoo Kids Electric Toothbrush is available in either pink or blue and has a special brush head designed to care for a child’s delicate gums with DuPont bristles. It delivers about 16,000 strokes per minute to provide a deep clean and massage gums.The two-minute timer pauses every 30 seconds to remind your child to brush a different area of their mouth.
You can use the USB wireless charging mechanism to power the toothbrush for about 21 days. An additional brush head is included as well as covers for the heads to help keep them germ-free in between brushings.Parents like the cute design, quality construction, and say that they would recommend it to other parents.
Babyease Kids’ Electric Toothbrush
- Safe brushing: Soft Nylon bristle & Food Grade brush heads are selected with strict criteria, to suit baby’s teeth...
- Make brushing fun: Cute toothbrush handle and LED light is perfectly designed to make brushing easy and fun for toddler...
- Right brushing habits: These baby toothbrushes are equipped with a 2-minute smart timer and 30-second pulse reminders...
The Babyease Kids’ Electric Toothbrush has a unique design with 360 degrees of bristles completely covering the head so that your child can not only brush their teeth but also massage their gums. The handle is designed with an anti-slip grip to ensure that small hands can hold on while the brush is pulsating. When the on button is pressed, a colorful LED light brightens the stem of the head to catch your child’s attention.
Every 30 seconds, they will be reminded to brush another portion of their mouth and the toothbrush turns off after two minutes. Babyease estimates that a single AAA battery should be able to power the toothbrush for about 120 days of use and a battery comes with the brush. A standard brush head comes in the box just in case your child does not enjoy the 360-degree version.
The toothbrush is BPA-free and waterproof so it will continue to function if your child submerges it in water. Many say they liked the soft bristles, colorful light feature, and unique brush design. However, some parents felt the brush was more appropriate for younger children and didn’t think it was powerful enough to clean older children’s teeth.
Gloridea Electric Toothbrush
- 3x Cleaning Effect Than Other Electric Toothbrush: 100% removes plaques, prevent cavities and improving oral health with...
- One Shopping For 24 Months: PHYLIAN rechargeable toothbrush is more durable than similar electric toothbrushes on the...
- Perfect Partner For Travel: This electric toothbrush for adults is designed for your convenience. It is fully charged in...
Children and adults can use the five settings on the Gloridea Electric Toothbrush:
- Teeth Whitening
- Massaging Gums
The gentle setting would be best for young children, and older children can use the medium setting which is the intended level for standard daily cleaning. The Gloridea Electric Toothbrush has a unique head shape to tackle plaque around the gums and delivers about 40,000 sonic vibrations per minute.
You can recharge the Gloridea with a universal USB charger in about four hours for a full charge that should last 30 days. It has a two-minute timer which pauses every 30 seconds to remind your child to brush a different area of their mouth. Also, the toothbrush is waterproof, so you don’t need to worry that it will stop functioning if your child should take it into the tub with them.
The packaging for the Gloridea includes one black toothbrush handle, three sonic heads, one dust cover, and a USB charging cable without an adapter. You can recharge the toothbrush by plugging the USB cable into any USB port like in your laptop or PC. Gloridea backs their toothbrush with a 365-day warranty that will either refund your money or replace your toothbrush with a new one.
Many buyers say their kids enjoy using the toothbrush and like that the toothbrush shuts off automatically after two minutes, so they know they’ve brushed for the right amount of time. However, some users felt the brush was a little too powerful for younger children.
Aiyabrush Kids Electric Toothbrush
- KNEW MORE ABOUT KIDS - Rechargeable Electric Toothbrushes for Kid's sensitive teeth and gum. Sweety power design has 3...
- PERFECT HANDLE AND BRUSH SIZE FOR CHILDREN - Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush for Kids with Comfortable handle size...
- KIDS BRUSHING TEACHER - 2 minutes smart timer educates kids to brush their teeth as the recommended time and 30 seconds...
The Aiyabrush Kids Electric Toothbrush has soft bristles and comes with two replacement heads so that you can change them when they get worn out or swap out the heads if you have more than one child. Also, it’s available in white, pink, yellow or blue. Every 30 seconds, a reminder will encourage your child to brush another area of their mouth until two minutes have passed.
The sonic Aiyabrush produces about 21,000 brush strokes per minute and is waterproof, so it’s okay if it gets dropped in the sink with the water running.The Aiyabrush comes with a USB port charger and with one full charge, which should take about six hours, it can provide up to 100 days of brushing use.
Many parents say that the brush heads were gentle, their kids enjoy brushing more, and that the handle’s matte texture makes it easy for kids to grasp and not drop while the brush is vibrating. Some buyers mentioned that the heads fit a bit tight and are a little difficult to remove and a few had issues with durability.
Brusheez Kids’ Electric Toothbrush
- MAKES BRUSHING FUN: Cute and colorful animal-themed set is perfectly designed to make brushing easy and fun for little...
- PROMOTES GOOD BRUSHING HABITS: Fun 2-minute sand timer encourages children to brush long enough to thoroughly clean...
- SAFE & EFFECTIVE CLEANING: Battery-powered toothbrush removes up to 2x more plaque than a manual toothbrush | Uses 2 AA...
With the Brusheez Kids’ Electric Toothbrush, your child can choose from the following characters to cover their toothbrush’s head:
- Snappy the Croc (green)
- Buddy the Bear (blue)
- Jovie the Giraffe (yellow)
- Prancy the Pony (pink)
- Ollie the Elephant (aqua)
Their Brusheez toothbrush set includes an hourglass timer they can turn over to count down the two minutes for brushing, an additional brush head, a rinse cup with their character on it, and it comes with a base to store everything in that doubles as a stand. You’ll need two AA batteries to power the Brusheez electric toothbrush.
Also, the brush comes with a five-year warranty. Many parents say their kids were excited to brush their teeth and felt that the animal characters and complementing stand made the task a little more fun.
Some buyers say their kids had difficulty with the power button and found it hard to press and others say the toothbrush is a bit heavy and prefer the rechargeable variety rather than a battery-operated one.
Colgate Kids Interactive Talking Toothbrush
- Make Brushing Teeth Fun with the Minions!
- Interactive Talking Battery Powered Toothbrush Helps Kids Brush Better
- Let the Minions Coach Kids Through Brushing Each Part of their Mouth
If your child loves The Minions or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, then they might enjoy Colgate’s Kids Interactive Talking Toothbrush that is available with either of these characters.
The Minions or Turtles give voice coaching for your child letting them know to clean different quadrants like the top left or bottom right and provide rewarding sound effects to congratulate them on a job well done when they’ve reached two minutes of brushing.
Colgate’s BPA-free Talking Toothbrush has a head with extra soft bristles that spin to gently clean teeth, two AAA batteries, and a soft on/off button that your child can easily operate themselves for an added feeling of independence. The batteries are replaceable, but the brush head is not.
Parents that bought Colgate’s Kids Interactive Talking Toothbrush say their kids enjoyed receiving verbal feedback from their favorite characters, and it made them want to brush more often and without putting up a fight. However, some buyers did not like that the brush heads were not replaceable so you do have to buy an entirely new brush when the bristles wear down.
Arm & Hammer Kid’s Spinbrush
- CHARACTERS MAY VARY – brushes feature Mario and Yoshi
- NEW & IMPROVED SPINFAST TECHNOLOGY – new design spins nearly 20% faster than former Kids Spinbrush
- SOFTSWITCH – new power buttons are easy to turn on and prevent water from leaking inside brush
Arm & Hammer’s Kid’s Spinbrush comes in three different designs:
- Super Mario Brothers brush
- Glow brush
- Stickers brush
The Stickers brush includes 140 stickers so your child can personalize their toothbrush and change it up as long as they have stickers left. They can choose from animals, flowers, letters, slang like “LOL,” and emojis. The Glow brush lights up for the two minutes it should take for your child to brush their teeth and the light changes color every 30 seconds to alert that it’s time to clean a different section of the mouth.
The toothbrush automatically shuts off when two minutes are up. All three brushes help to remove plaque and massage gums with pulsating and spinning bristles. The brush heads are not replaceable, and Arm & Hammer recommends replacing the toothbrush every three months to prevent the head from breaking and potentially causing any injuries.
Many parents said that their kids enjoyed using the toothbrushes. However, some parents were not happy with the battery life and said the AAA batteries only power the toothbrush for about two weeks. If you don’t want to be a slave to changing batteries or having to buy them often, it’s something to keep in mind.
Grush Smart Electric Toothbrush
- REVOLUTIONARY ORAL CARE TECHNOLOGY: Learn to brush right with smart sensors, side change recognition and a vibrating...
- PARENT CHECK LIGHT: Gives parents peace of mind, allowing you to confirm if your child brushed well.
- VOICE, MUSIC, & SOUNDS: Friendly voice and engaging lights & audio encourage kids to brush longer and reward proper...
When your kids use the Grush Smart Electric Toothbrush, they can also play interactive games that help them brush. The Grush has a sensor that monitors “tooth-to-tooth” movement in the games used with their app. There are several different fun games designed for varying age groups, so you don’t have to worry that your older child will be faced with games made for toddlers.
Also, parents can keep track of detailed brushing data down to each tooth with the app which will let you know if some teeth were neglected or didn’t get enough brushing. Due to its innovative technology, the Grush toothbrush received the grand prize from a reality TV show called “America’s Greatest Makers.” Dentists support it, and multiple news outlets have featured the story of how the Grush came to be.
As for the brush itself, it comes with three brush heads and is powered by a AAA battery. Many parents say that their kids enjoy using the toothbrush because of the fun games and the parents liked the detail provided with the “tooth-to-tooth” data. However, some buyers had issues pairing the toothbrush with their device and did not receive feedback from customer support.
When you’re shopping around for an electric toothbrush for kids, there are a few things you should take into consideration before making the final purchase.
- Brush heads: Are the brush heads replaceable or will you have to end up buying a new toothbrush every few months? And if so, is it on the low end budget-wise? Replacing a cheaper toothbrush once in a won’t end up running you as much as having to replace a more expensive one. If the heads are replaceable, how much is it for a new one and how many replacement heads can you get at a time?
- Batteries/Rechargeability: Is the toothbrush rechargeable? If so, how do you recharge it? USB? Electric? Or batteries? And is the adapter, cord, or battery already included with the original purchase or is that an additional expense you have to take into account?
- Bristles: Double check that the bristles are soft or designed for sensitive teeth and gums to avoid and prevent any potential damage.
Featured image source: pixabay
Last update on 2022-05-27 at 23:54 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API