Train sets have been favorite playthings for over a hundred years! Not only do kids of all ages love them, but they are great for brain growth too! Designing a viable railway track fosters the development of problem-solving skills. The imaginative play that choo-choo inspires expands your child’s creativity.
Building the tracks, moving the train, and having the engineer hop aboard, all use fine motor skills. Train sets that use magnets introduce your child to the world of science. The rolling motion of the cars lets them experience physics first-hand. When they reach the end of the line and the train crashes, well, cause and effect are demonstrated. Colors, shapes, and sequencing can also be learning aspects a train set brings into focus.
Train tables are a nice extension of wooden train sets. Not only do they keep all those tracks and cars and whatnots off the floor, but the elevated height makes it easier for mom and dad to play too.
There are several distinct options to consider when choosing the best train table. Should the table be square, oval, or rectangular? How far off the ground should it stand? Do you want one that comes with a train set or will you purchase the train set separately? What about aesthetics? How much are you willing to pay? What material is the table constructed from? Do you want a fixed track or something moveable? What about storage space?
Don’t panic! We’re here to help. We’ve compiled a list to help you find the best train table. Each train table summary has the table dimensions, included accessories, and storage options for comparison purposes. If it has a unique feature, we’ve mentioned that as well.
How We Chose Our Ratings
Deciding on a train table can be difficult. We know you certainly want a table that will last.
So we compiled this list of the best toy train table sets for kids based on child-safe construction, size, versatility and customer reviews. Let’s take a look!
Top Seventeen Best Toy Train Table Sets for Kids
Sodura Birch Wood Kids Train Table
No products found.
The gorgeous zero VOC, non-toxic finish on the Sodura Birch Wood Kids Train Table makes this a must-have for every child’s playroom. It measures 48 x 36 x 17 inches and has rounded corners and raised sides. Not only is this table ideal for train sets but it also makes a great play area for puzzles, legos, and blocks. Its sturdy construction means that even the youngest can use it with the manufacturer’s recommended age at 0 months and older.
Hape Railway Play and Stow Storage and Activity Table
- Features a storage and a play top area
- Encourages imaginative play and creativity in little ones
- Fully compatible with popular train products and Systems
The Hape Railway Play and Stow Storage and Activity Table has reversible painted wooden panels for scenic variety. Your child will love all the possible terrain options, jungle or city settings. The child-safe finished panels also cover the in-table storage area for easy clean-up. It’s 31.5 x 32.3 x 15.8 inches and has rounded, smooth corners for safety. It’s appropriate for ages 3 and up.
Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway, Island of Sodor Playtable
- Includes Thomas & Friends wooden playboard featuring graphics of locations from the show
- Racks on the side of table are perfect for storing engines
- Solid wood construction
Why limit your budding engineer to a table-top? With the Fisher-Price Thomas & Friends Wooden Railway, Island of Sodor Playtable, your child can design a track that passes through the legs of the table! The playboard features the familiar sights of Sodor, which your little Thomas fan will adore. The sustainably sourced, premium beech wood table measures 53.5 x 18.5 x 5.5 inches, making it the biggest in our list. The wooden engine rack is the perfect place to park your train when playtime is over. It is designed for children 3 years of age and up.
KidKraft Metropolis Train Table and Set
- Keep building with the construction crew, bulldozer and real working crane that picks up blocks and moves them around....
- Take to the skies with the airplane or helicopter and find both a runway and a heliport in the town for when it's time...
- Everything a city needs is included: people, cars, buildings, signs and more—all perfectly sized for little hands to...
The Metropolis Train Table is a lovely espresso color. The large trundle rolling drawer has two compartments and certainly comes in handy for storing 100 pieces that come with the table. It is 46.9 x 32.9 x 26.8 inches in size so is plenty big enough for several children to play together. Not only are there cars, buildings, and people but the set also includes a two-tier bridge, tunnel, and moving crane. What more can you ask for?
Maxim Enterprise INC 62-Piece Train Set with Play Table/Trundle
- Big Train Set with Play Table - New from Maxim Enterprise. You not only get the complete wooden train set but also a...
- 62 Pieces with Everything Needed - Nothing more to buy with this big, complete train set. You get all the tracks,...
- Fabulous Over/Under Bridge - Includes an impressive over and under bridge with track piece. This feature alone makes...
The Maxim Enterprise INC Play Table includes tracks, train, buildings, animals, people, vehicles and signs. The wooden tracks are compatible with Thomas and Friends and Brio train sets. The table has rounded edges and raised sides. It is 32.8 x 24.8 x 10 inches in size and was created with children age 3 and up in mind. This model’s unique feature is it has locking wheels so it can be rolled under a bed for storage when not in use.
KidKraft Wooden Play Train Table
- Double-sided play: white board on one side; colorful landscape on the other
- Built-in storage compartment drawer slides out from the middle
- 360-degree play so multiple kids can play at once
The reversible landscaped panels make the KidKraft Wooden Play Train Table versatile. It also has a built-in storage drawer for easy clean-up. It has rounded corners and a raised lip. Designed for children three and older, it is big enough for several children to play at 47.6 x 31.6 x 15.8 inches.
KidKraft Adventure Town Railway Train Set and Table with Ez Kraft Assembly
- Includes 120-piece colorful accessory set featuring vehicles, characters, construction pieces, buildings and more
- Wooden play table with new folding design allows for quick, easy assembly in under a minute
- Special T-molded edges on table to prevent chipping and provide safer play
The KidKraft Adventure Town Table is designed to fold away quickly and set up just as fast. The train set comes with tracks, signs, town folk, buildings, vehicles, and even an airport and waterfall tunnel. It has two collapsible storage containers for easy clean-up. Its dimensions are 43.5 x 31 x 21.1 inches, and the table is designed for children 3+. The colorful landscaped play board rounded edges and raised sides make it a very nice setup overall.
BRIO 33099 Play Table
- Product includes - BRIO play table made from solid wood with rounded corners, 4 feet by 2. 5 feet by 18 inches in...
- Perfect for the creative toddler - help your budding train engineer improve their train set experience. Designed for...
- High quality - the play table is made from solid wood, is easy to assemble, and is sanded smooth with rounded corners...
The Brio 33099 Play Table measures 46 x 30 x 18 inches and is designed for children ages 3 and up. The solid wood frame is sanded and has rounded corners. The six coats of non-toxic gloss lacquer paint create a nice finish. The table has raised sides to keep the trains from falling off the edge. The painted land and water formations foster creative play in your little one.
Pidoko Kids Train Table
- A classic sturdy wooden train table. Large enough in entertaining multiple children to play at a time
- The Grey color of the table compliments most nursery and play room furniture. Makes a great toy gift for boys and girls.
- Round and Curved Edges for smoother friendly surface play. Perfect toy for ages 3 and up
The painted roadway on the Pidoko Kids Train Table makes this setup great for both trains and cars. It measures 44 x 18 x 4.6 inches and comes in a lovely, natural finished wood color. The edges and corners are rounded and smooth, and the table has raised sides. The paint is child-friendly. It’s intended for children three years old and up.
KidKraft Waterfall Station Table and Train Set
- Brilliantly detailed wooden pieces
- Colorfully illustrated, durable play surface
- Big enough for kids to play together
The KidKraft Waterfall Station Table and Train Set is constructed from molded plastic and composite wood materials. It has three red, plastic storage containers that fit under the table to keep the tracks, train, people, buildings, and vehicles neat and tidy. The table has a silk-screened landscaped play board and rounded T-molded edges on the raised sides. The manufacturer’s recommended ages are 24 months and up. The table is amply sized at 48.75 x 34.5 x 16 inches.
Melissa & Doug Multi-Activity Train Table
- Assembled Dimensions: Overall - 16" x 24.0" x 55" Play Table - 17.75" x 33" x 50" | Weight: 59.8 lbs
- Jumbo drawer for maximum storage: Our multi-activity play table contains a jumbo drawer that helps to store games, train...
- Multi-use play table: The Melissa & doug deluxe wooden multi-activity play table is ideal for train sets, arts and...
You know you are getting quality with Melissa and Doug wooden toys! Their Multi-Activity Train Table measures a whopping 50 x 33 x 17.75 inches and has two solid wood panels, making it the perfect place for trains, blocks, puzzles, and arts and crafts. It has a large pull-out storage drawer. The panels are removable, making it easy to clean.
KidKraft 17564.0 Transportation Station Train Set and Table
- Combines a train table with a 58-piece train set
- 2 tracks total - (1) a long, winding track that can be put together in an endless number of ways and (2) a bonus...
- Moving crane lifts and lowers cargo
The Transportation Station Train Table actually comes with two sets of train tracks. The wooden tracks can be set up in any number of ways while the plastic track circles the table. As if trains weren’t enough, this table has moving cranes to lift and move that important train cargo and a deluxe airport. The 58-piece transportation set includes an airplane, a helicopter, three train cars, and a bulldozer. It measures 34.2 x 26.8 x 26.2 inches and is intended for children three years old and up.
Step2 Deluxe Canyon Road Train & Track Table
- One-piece hardboard lid with one white side converts unit into activity table and blends with any décor
- Deep tray helps keep accessories organized and provides storage when not in use
- Includes a 3-piece train set (accessories may vary)
Step2 Deluxe Canyon Road Train and Track Table is designed for the youngest engineers in mind. It’s made of durable vinyl rather than wood for easy clean-up. The three-dimensional track goes up and under, encouraging gross motor skill development. It comes with a three-piece plastic train set. The train track is already assembled, so no frustrated tantrums. The best part is that the one piece lid can be used to convert it to an activity table. It is 47.6 x 26.6 x 6.7 inches and designed for children 3 and up.
KidKraft 17576 2-In-1 Activity Table with Board
- A four-divided colorful tabletop allows kids to build creations out of building bricks and more. Two hundred bricks are...
- Flip the tabletop over and discover an illustrated surface for imaginative play with cars, trains, crafts and more
- A 30-piece train set is included for adventurous excursions. Tracks, a 3-car train, car, people house, trees and a sign...
Legos and trains certainly go together with the KidKraft 2-In-1 Activity Table. One side of the playboard has a painted landscape, perfect for cross-country train travel. The other side is designed for Lego building fun! It comes with 200 Lego-compatible blocks and a 30-piece wooden train set. The play board lifts for underneath storage. It has smooth, round corners and a raised edge. It’s one of the smaller tables measuring 25 x 23 x 17 inches. Although the manufacturer lists the recommended ages beginning at three years, remember, Legos are tiny and designed for older children.
KAJA Wooden Train Track Set with Table
- TABLE HEIGHT: The height of the table is suitable for toddlers, kids, or aged 3+
- TRACK COMPATIBILITY: The train track set compatible with Thomas and Friends, Brio and other brands wooden train sets
- FUNNY HEALTHY GAME: It contribute to the promotion of children's creativity and imagination, and develop their...
The Kaja Wooden Train Track Set comes with 80 Thomas and Friends compatible pieces. The table is 28.74 x 23.62 x 14.96 inches and brightly decorated with non-toxic water-based paint. It has a small raised lip around the edges to keep the tracks from sliding off.
Choosing a train table doesn’t have to be complicated. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind while shopping. When you are considering purchasing a train table you should consider:
Do you already own a wooden train set? Are the pieces that come with the table compatible with that train set? Of course, many train tables do not come with accessories, which makes it easy to choose which train sets you’d like to use on it. Those that do have accessories should be compatible with the pieces you already have. Otherwise, your child might get mighty frustrated trying to piece the tracks together.
If you are looking to purchase a wooden train set, consider that Thomas Wooden Railway, Chuggington Wooden Railway, Brio Wooden Railway, Melissa & Doug Wooden Railway, and BigJigs Wooden Railway are all compatible with each other. Other brands might not fit together as well.
When your child is ready for an electric train set, will the train table you bought when he or she was younger still work? For the most part, yes. Train tables with flat playboards will work just fine with electric train sets. Those that have attached tracks won’t.
How old is your child? What are the manufacturer’s recommended ages for their product? Younger children may climb up on train tables, so you would want to choose a sturdy construction. Older children might like the lego board or craft table options. Most train tables have the recommended age of at least three years old, which is about when children start taking an interest in trains, planes, and automobiles. Other sets are considerably more complex and not meant for toddlers or preschoolers.
Many train tables are precisely that, tables to create railway tracks and play with trains. Other train tables have more versatility. Some can be used as art tables, others as lego building stations and still others would make a beautiful coffee table once your child’s train phase has passed.
The bigger the table, the bigger the track setup can be. Square tables are a little more limiting than rectangular tables. Some tables even have an option where the tracks can run underneath. You should also consider the size of the room you plan on setting up the train table in as well. Most train tables are fixed, but there are some folding options available if space is an issue.
How much are you willing to invest in a train table? Does it include accessories or is a train set an additional cost for you? Popular brands like Thomas and Friends might cost considerably more than non-brand names. Are you confident your child will play with a train table? Would it be better to get a table that can be converted to another use in case that happens?
Wooden tables should be varnished or painted with non-toxic materials. Appropriate table height depends on your child’s height. If he or she can’t reach the train pieces without climbing on the table, then the train table is too high. Corners and edges should be curved and smooth. The table legs should also be sturdy. Make sure to check for wobbles and exposed screws regularly.
As you can see, finding the best train table for you is easily accomplished when you look at these aspects. All-Aboard!
Last update on 2021-10-22 at 10:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API