Toddler water shoes can make summertime more comfortable, fun, and safe. Whether you plan to go to the pool or the beach, water shoes protect little feet from rough terrain and prevent slips. We draw on reviews from real parents to rank the best toddler water shoes. Choose from styles that resemble sneakers, more traditional sandals, or aqua socks. Find structured designs with thick soles for outdoor activities or styles made to be worn in the water.
You can find toddler boy water shoes and toddler girl water shoes as well as unisex styles that will fit your child. Some water socks even fit a range of sizes. If you want to protect your toddler’s feet while your family has fun in the sun, pick a toddler water shoe suitable for the activities you have planned.
Toddler water shoes FAQs
What are toddler water shoes?
Toddler water shoes are designed to be worn in wet environments. Some styles of water shoes, sandals, or socks can be worn in the water. Other designs are better for wearing on the coast or poolside.
What are toddler water sandals?
Toddler water sandals provide protection and style while standing up to water exposure. Sandals dry quickly to prevent blisters from forming. Depending on the design, you may want to take these sandals off while your toddler swims.
What are toddler water socks?
Toddler water socks have thinner soles and less structure than water shoes or sandals. Aqua socks are designed to be worn while in the water and dry out quickly.
What are toddler water shoes used for?
The best toddler water shoes protect your child’s feet while he or she is playing or walking in wet conditions. Non-slip soles can help a toddler maintain traction on slippery surfaces.
What are toddler water shoes usually made of?
Many toddler water shoes are made of neoprene or textile uppers with thermoplastic rubber outsoles. Some water shoes and sandals are molded out of synthetic materials.
How do I choose the size when buying toddler water shoes?
Measure your toddler’s feet, and check sizing charts and customer comments before buying water shoes. Some toddler water shoes are known to have inconsistent sizing. An accurate measurement is the best way to guarantee the water shoes you buy will fit.
Different types of toddler water shoes
Toddler water shoes are protective footwear designed to be worn near water or in shallow water. Shoes such as Stride Rite’s Made 2 Play Phibian Sneaker provide traction and make it easier for toddlers to walk on uneven surfaces. You can order many different styles of water shoes.
Toddler water sandals are more open and breathable than closed-toe water shoe designs. Sandals such as the Athlefit Boys Girls Soft Sole Closed Toe Sport Hiking Athletic Sandals are lightweight and stylish. Water sandals dry out quickly, making them perfect for beach or poolside wear.
Toddler water/aqua socks are soft footwear that toddlers can wear in and out of the water. Some aqua socks do not have reinforced soles. Simple water socks such as HIITAVE Kids Water Shoes are suitable for wearing in the water, but not on longer walks.
When to use toddler water shoes
Purchase a pair of toddler water shoes in advance of a trip to the shore or pool. If you are going to a rocky coast, select structured shoes with thick soles to protect your child’s feet. Your toddler may be more comfortable at a sandy beach in breathable sandals or quick-drying aqua socks. If you choose water socks, you may also need to bring shoes if you have other plans after spending time near the water.
Benefits of using toddler water shoes
Toddler water shoes can prevent injuries if your child steps on a sharp object. Water shoes provide more protection than either sandals or socks. Toddler boy water shoes and toddler girl water shoes can also help your child maintain his or her balance on slippery or uneven surfaces. Water shoes can also protect the delicate skin on your child’s feet from sunburn. You should apply sunscreen to your toddler’s feet if he or she is wearing water sandals.
How to choose the best toddler water shoes
- Material: The material of water shoes affects the level of foot protection and how long it takes for these shoes to dry out. Look for materials that dry quickly and soles suitable for your waterside destination.
- Durability: Water shoes should be well-constructed; shoes and sandals tend to be more durable than water socks. At the same time, water socks may fit a size range and last longer than one summer.
- Type: The type of water shoe you choose depends on where your plan for your child to wear water shoes. You may want to purchase more than one type of water shoe for different terrain or amounts of walking.
- Style: Toddler water shoes are the perfect accessory for swimsuits and beach gear. You can also choose designs from brands that make shoes for kids and adults for a matching style for the entire family.
- Design: Pick a design with Velcro straps or simple fasteners that make water shoes easy to put on and take off. The design of these shoes affects how much protection and traction the shoe will provide.
Most popular toddler water shoes brands
- Crocs: Crocs makes waterproof footwear for toddlers, children, and people of all ages. This brand has a well-deserved reputation for comfort and durability. Choose traditional clog-style shoes or stylish water sandals. Some Crocs are made of fully-molded Croslite, while others feature breathable mesh bodies in distinctive colors and designs.
- OshKosh B’gosh: OshKosh has made quality products for over 100 years. The brand’s current line-up of water shoes and sandals feature comfortable materials and durable fastening mechanisms that are easy for toddlers to put on and take off. Styles range from sport sandals to sneakers and Mary Janes.
- Speedo: Speedo is a top swimwear and aquatic supply brand. This brand’s toddler boy water shoes and toddler girl water shoes are designed to be worn in and out of the water and provide protection against slips.
- Native: Native water shoes have a unique perforated design that is highly breathable. These shoes come in a wide variety of colors and styles. These water shoes are made out of odor-resistant ethylene vinyl acetate with a rubber sole and EVA footbed that will mold to fit your toddler’s feet.
- KEEN: Keen is a top outdoor shoe brand for toddlers, children, and adults. Find child-sized versions of classic water sandals designed to protect your toddler’s feet and provide traction.
- Stride Rite: Stride Rite water shoes and sandals come in a variety of designs that parents and kids are sure to love. Find unisex sneakers as well as Mary Janes and slides perfect for toddler girls and boys.
- Fresko: Fresko makes water shoes with toes and thick soles as well as clogs in kid-friendly designs. Fresco shoes are comfortable and quick-drying and can be submerged in water.
Best toddler water shoes for boys and girls
Most Versatile: Made 2 Play Phibian Water Shoes by Stride Rite
- Breathable sneaker design
- Antimicrobial lining
- Machine washable
Stride Rite’s Made 2 Play Phibian Water Shoes look like sneakers but are breathable. These water shoes have a non-slip grip and an EVA upper with a non-marking rubber outsole. Made 2 Play shoes are also made without the use of animal products.
Best for Water Only Toddler Shoes:
Speedo Kid’s & Toddler’s Water Shoes – Surf Knit
- Stretchable upper and quick-adjusting strap
- Mesh insert panels for quick drying
- S-track thermoplastic rubber outsole
The Speedo Kid’s & Toddler’s Water Shoes – Surf Knit is one of the best toddler water shoes for wearing in the water. These shoes are not as structured as other water shoes designed for outdoor wear. This aqua sock-style water shoe is machine-washable.
Best for Beach: Toddler Shark Water Shoes With Toes by Fresko
- Eye-catching design
- Thick rubber sole
- Adjustable Velcro closure and heel pull tab
If your toddler loves sharks, you can’t go wrong with the Fresco Toddler Shark Water Shoes With Toes. These shoes feature a quick-drying neoprene upper and thick rubber sole that allows for better balance on rocky surfaces and protects little feet from sharp rocks or debris. The sole makes these shoes perfect for the beach or boardwalk as well as in the water.
Best for Pool: Water Shoes by i-Play
- Pull-on shoes made out of flexible materials
- Non-slip soles
- Wear in and out of water
i-Play Water Shoes are the best toddler girl water shoes and toddler boy water shoes for wearing near the pool. The soles are designed to prevent slips, and these shoes can be worn in or out of the pool. These shoes may cause blisters and are not as good for walking long distances.
Easiest to Wear: Crocs Kids’ Classic Clog
- Durable and protective design
- Roomy fit
Crocs have a reputation as a classic water shoe for a reason. The Crocs Kids’ Classic Clog comes in more than 30 colors, making it easy to match your toddler’s shoes with her or his swimwear. These clogs are made out of fully-molded Croslite, and the wrap-around strap makes them easy for a toddler to put on and take off.
Best for Outdoors: KEEN Newport H2 Sandal
- Quick-drying polyester webbing
- Rubber sole
- Machine washable
The Newport H2 comes in many different patterns and color combinations. The upper of the shoe can be tightened for a good fit, and the soles protect your toddler’s feet while your family explores the great outdoors. If you are planning on camping near water or going for summer hikes, the KEEN Newport H2 will keep your toddler’s feet cool and protected.
Most Lightweight: Soft Barefoot Aqua Socks by norocos
- Ultra lightweight
- Breathable upper
- Thermoplastic rubber soles
The Soft Barefoot Aqua Sock by norocos is designed for use in or near the water. These water socks feature a polyester and spandex upper that provides a breathable, comfortable, and stretchy fit. Thermoplastic rubber soles feature an anti-slip honeycomb pattern, and a back buckle makes these socks easy to keep on.
Most Breathable: Kid’s Slip-On Quick Dry Water Shoes by ALEADER
- Amphibious shoe for wearing in and out of water
- Breathable quick-dry mesh upper
- Non-slip soles with outsole drainage
The Slip-On Quick Dry Water Shoes by ALEADER are amphibious sneakers. These all-purpose shoes are made out of breathable mesh with a system that allows excess water to drain through the outsole. This particular selection is not adjustable, so sizing is important when purchasing these water shoes.
Best Water Sandals With Velcro Straps: Teva Tidepool Water Sandal
- Open- and closed-toe designs
- Non-slip sole
- Many color combinations
If you want toddler water sandals that are easy to put on and take off, consider the Teva Tidepool Water Sandal. These sandals come in open- and closed-toe designs that provide the protection you need for many outdoor destinations. Velcro straps make it easy to fasten this water sandal for a secure fit.
Best for Wide Feet: OshKosh B’Gosh Aquatic Girl’s and Boy’s Water Shoe
- Soft upper material
- Contoured insole
- Flexible outsole
The best toddler boy water shoes or toddler girl water shoes for wide feet are the OshKosh B’Gosh Aquatic Girls and Boys Water Shoe. This design features soft material and breathable cut-outs. These water shoes are made of non-toxic materials and are machine washable.
What’s the best toddler water shoes?
If you are looking for toddler water shoes that are easy to clean, quick to dry, and can be worn in and out of water, you can’t go wrong with Crocs Kids’ Classic Clog. These clogs provide a roomy fit to allow for some flexibility with regard to sizing and continued comfort even after your toddler has been running around in the heat.
These durable clogs are moderately priced. With average wear, a toddler will probably outgrow his or her Crocs before these shoes break down. Crocs clogs are bulkier than water socks, but they are breathable, lightweight, and can protect small toes and feet. These clogs come in many colors and sizes, making them the best toddler boy water shoes and toddler girl water shoes.
How the best toddler shoes were picked
Crocs are a perennial favorite at beaches and pools. These shoes allow feet to breathe and do not pinch toes or cause blisters. These shoes can be worn into the water and, if they happen to come off, they float. Crocs clogs can stand up to almost any conditions. There are no textiles to wear down or get snagged. The soles provide traction and are thick enough to prevent sharp objects from poking through.
Relevant products to buy
Stearns Puddle Jumper Basic Life Jacket
A life jacket is an important piece of swimming safety equipment. These life jackets feature cute cartoons and come in bright, eye-catching colors. Toddlers can match their water shoes and life jacket to their swimsuit for summertime style.
Speedo Kids’ UPF 50+ Begin to Swim Classic Swim Vest
No products found.
No products found.
This neoprene swim vest offers protection from the sun’s ultraviolet rays and provides warmth and buoyancy for swimming in chilly pool, ocean, or surface water. Pick from two bright color combinations in a variety of sizes.
i play Baby Flap Sun Protection Swim Hat
This protective cap is designed to shield your toddler’s face and neck from the sun. A tie closure helps to keep this hat securely on your child’s head even on a windy day. This swim hat comes in a variety of different colors that may match water shoes.
If your toddler loves to swim, you should invest in a reusable absorbent swim diaper. Choose from a variety of colors in baby and toddler sizes. This polyester swim diaper can be machine washed and features a pull-on closure.
Final review of the best toddler water shoes
The best toddler water shoes for your child depend on your destination. I prefer Crocs because I can rest assured that my toddler can wear these shoes anywhere and stay protected. One of the most important factors in choosing water shoes is the quality of the fit.
Crocs are available in a wide range of reliable sizes and do not tend to cause blisters, two factors that set them apart from many other water shoes. These clogs are available in so many colors that it is easy to find the right toddler boy water shoes or toddler girl water shoes.
Last update on 2022-01-17 at 13:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API