Playing is a crucial aspect of childhood development. Your child needs to have access to a wide range of games and toys for their neurological and social development. Providing your child with games is important for their well-being and happiness, and you will find that the best games for kids usually have educational value as well.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We selected some of the best games to help your child develop maotor skills, problem-solving skills, and social skills. Here is how we selected games and assigned rating:
- Variety. We included different types of games adapted to different age ranges. Remember that it’s important to provide variety and introduce new games regularly.
- Educational value. We looked for games that are fun while helping your child learn important concepts or acquire different skills.
- Original. We gave higher ratings to the games that stand out thanks to their originality. This is an important component of keeping your child interested in a game.
- Reviews. We looked at reviews to get a better idea of what parents think of the games we selected.
Top 12 Best Games For Kids
We have selected these different games so you can provide your child with different opportunities to learn and play.
Hasbro Connect 4 Game
- Classic Connect 4 game is disc dropping fun
- Choose yellow or red discs. For 2 players
- When you get 4 discs in a row you win
Connect 4 is a classic board game the entire family can enjoy. The red and yellow dots will bring back memories from your childhood.
We recommend this game because it’s challenging for a wide range of ages. Young children will have fun with the tactile aspect of the game and will want to play with the grid and the dots.
As your child gets older, they will develop more complex strategies to win this game. We like Connect 4 because a game typically lasts for a few minutes and will keep your child focused. It’s a great way to develop a sense of competition and encourage your child to develop problem-solving skills.
- VISUAL GAME: Spot It! hones players’ observational skills and lightning-fast reflexes as the whole family enjoys five...
- FUN GAME: Fun symbols and pictures cover every card in a Spot It! deck. Each card has exactly one matching symbol or...
- PERFECT FOR YOUNG PLAYERS: Spot It! helps develop focus, visual perception skills, speech-language skills, and fine...
Spot It! is one of the best games for kids because it requires your child to use their observation skills and reflexes to win. The game comes with several round cards with illustrations.
Players have to spot similar illustrations and be the first to point them out. There are many different ways to play this game. Young players can focus on matching illustrations with similar colors while older players can establish more advanced connections between the illustrations.
It’s a game that helps your child develop their visual perception, motor skills, and social skills. It’s a fun game to play with your child or for siblings to play together. We like Spot It! because it’s challenging for adults as well.
Melissa & Doug Underwater Ocean Floor Puzzle
- Fun & educational floor puzzle: The Melissa & doug underwater floor puzzle is a 48 piece floor puzzle that measures 2′...
- Beautiful artwork: Our 48 piece floor puzzle for kids features beautiful original artwork that replicates a realistic...
- Easy clean surface: This giant floor puzzle for kids is made of durable, extra thick cardboard pieces with an easy clean...
Puzzles are important for your child’s development. You should introduce new puzzles regularly, so your child encounters new challenges.
Puzzles are a quiet occupation that helps your child focus and relax. It’s something your child can do by themselves, but it’s also an activity you can do with your child.
We like this puzzle because of the quality materials and gorgeous illustration that shows life underwater. Your child will have fun completing the puzzle and recognizing all the sea animals.
The puzzle features 48 large pieces. Your child can play with this puzzle if they are three or older, but a young child will need help with completing the puzzle.
Mega Blocks 80-Piece Big Building Bag
- 80 classic-colored building blocks, including special shapes
- Perfect for little hands
- Hands-on play for early childhood development
These large and colorful building blocks are perfect for keeping your child entertained. We recommend these building blocks because of their versatility.
A toddler will have fun with stacking the blocks. The large blocks are easy to grab for small hands and your child will develop their motor skills by stacking the blocks. The colorful design is going to make your child want to play with the blocks.
As your child gets older, they will use their imagination to build things with the blocks. This set includes 80 blocks with different shapes and colors. Your child can use them to build animals, vehicles, houses, and much more.
We like the tactile aspect of this game and how versatile the blocks are. We recommend these blocks if you want a game that will keep your child interesting throughout the years.
Yard Games Giant Tumbling Timbers
- Giant size timbers include 56 timber blocks measuring 7.5 x 2.5 x 1.5 inches and stacks 19 levels high! Includes two...
- Fully set up game starts at 7.5 x 7.5 inches and is 2.5 feet tall! Game can grow to over 5 feet while playing based on...
- Comes with 56 sustainable sourced New Zealand Pine wood blocks hand sanded smooth for easy setup and game play. Perfect...
These blocks make one of the most fun yard games you will ever see. This set comes with 56 blocks and a carrying case.
The blocks measure 7.5” by 2.5” by 1.5.” You can use them to play a giant game of Jenga in your backyard. This activity is going to bring the entire family together, and your child can have fun stacking the blocks by themselves.
We like this game because anyone can play. It requires your children to use their motor skills and to strategize to pile up the blocks as high as possible. These blocks are a game that adults will enjoy as well.
This game isn’t ideal for young children due to the size and weight of the blocks, but otherwise, it’s the perfect backyard game for the entire family.
GoSports Slammo Game Set
- SLAMMO: An exciting outdoor lawn game for kids and adults. Set includes 1 slammo target, 2 competition size balls, 1...
- WHAT IS SLAMMO: Slammo is an action packed 2 on 2 volleyball style outdoor game; Teams have 3 hits to bounce or spike...
- ACTIVE FUN: Slammo is an engaging game that works great for just having fun and even breaking a sweat, or as cross...
Your children are going to love this outdoor game set. It comes with a target, three balls, and a carrying case.
The objective of Slammo is to get the ball through the target or to make the ball bounce off the target in three hits or less. The game is similar to volleyball but it’s a lot more accessible for children.
This game is a great way to help your children be more active and introduce new activities. We think Slammo is a great introduction to structured sports with rules.
You can play this game one-on-one or have teams play against each other. This game will help your child develop their motor skills and aim besides learning to play as a team.
ThinkFun Gravity Maze Marble Run Logic Game And STEM Toy For Boys And Girls
- Trusted by Families Worldwide - With over 50 million sold, ThinkFun is the world's leading manufacturer of brain games...
- Develops critical skills – Playing your way through the challenges builds spatial reasoning and planning skills, and...
- What you get – Gravity Maze is a combination logic game, marble run, and STEM toy that's one of the best gifts you can...
This fun and challenging STEM toy comes with everything your child needs to build marble mazes. There are different levels of play and the kit comes with several cards that will challenge to create mazes with specific parameters.
Your child can have fun with building mazes from scratch once they become familiar with the different elements of this STEM toy. This toy is very versatile since there are different levels of difficulty and many ways to combine the elements.
This STEM toy is fun and educational. Your child will learn about maze design, gravity, and discover basic engineering concepts. Your child can play with this toy if they are eight or older, but a younger child would probably find this game fun if you were to play it with them.
Klutz Lego Chain Reactions Craft Kit
- Nappa silver award winner
- Design and build 10 amazing moving machines - teach your bricks new tricks
- Comes with 80 page instructions, 33 LEGO pieces, Instructions for 10 modules, 6 plastic balls, string, paper ramps and...
This Lego kit is one of the best games for kids if you are looking for something educational. This set comes with over 30 different Lego pieces and instructions you can follow to build moving machines.
We like this craft kit because it introduces new ways to play with Legos and will help your child develop a thorough understanding of basic concepts associated with moving machines. Some of the projects are fun and easy to complete while others are more challenging.
Your child can use Lego pieces from other sets they already own to create more complex machines. Seeing the machines in action and adding elements to make them more fun and interesting is going to keep your child busy for hours.
We recommend this Lego craft kit because it’s an activity you can easily share with your child and it’s a fun and exciting introduction to engineering concepts.
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – Nintendo Switch
- A variety of playable characters are available, some with unique attributes that affect gameplay and platforming...
- Younger and less-experienced players will love playing as Toadette, who is brand new to both games, and Nabbit, who was...
- Multiplayer sessions are even more fun, frantic, and exciting thanks to entertaining character interactions. Need a...
If your child is interested in video games, we recommend the new Super Mario Bros. for the Nintendo Switch. This video game features cute and colorful graphics and is fun for the entire family.
We like this video game because the Nintendo Switch is a platform designed for young players. The two controllers allow siblings to play together and encourage collaborative and competitive play.
This video game features five different modes. You can complete levels just like in any Super Mario game, race against time, collect as many items as possible, or explore other game modes.
There are many different playable characters. Some of them will offer additional assistance for young players.
There are other video games to explore if you are looking for games that have an educational focus, but we like this Super Mario game because it’s wholesome, fun, and features a two-player mode that adds a social dimension to your child’s screen time.
Battat – Dalmatian Vet Kit
- Portable animal clinic: a toy carrying case with all the veterinarian toys an aspiring veterinarian need
- 15 pieces: 1 plush puppy, 1 puppy crate, 1 stethoscope, 1 Brush, 1 syringe, 1 thermometer, 1 bowl, 1 medical tray, 1...
- Carrying case: care for your 4 legged friend wherever you go. Everything fits inside at the end of the day
This kit comes with a cute Dalmatian plus toy, a carrying case, and several vet accessories. We think this playset is a great way to encourage pretend play.
Mimicking what adults do is something that helps children develop a wide range of skills. Pretend play can help your child develop their social skills if they play with friends or siblings as well as their imagination. This type of play also helps your child explore their emotions.
This vet kit encourages your child to take care of the plush toy. Your child can use the different accessories to listen to the Dalmatian’s heart, feed it, brush it, or take its temperature.
Young children are going to love the plush toy and will explore the different accessories. Older children will create complex scenarios where they take care of the plush toy.
UNO Card Game
- UNO The classic card game of matching colours and numbers
- Players take turns matching one of their cards with the colour or number card shown on the top of the deck
- Write your own rules for game play with the Wild Customizable cards
This classic card game is a must-have. Your children are going to love this exciting and fast-paced card game.
The objective of UNO is to be the first player to get rid of all your cards by matching the color or number of your card with the card that is on top of the deck.
The rules are easy to follow. There are special action cards that keep the game interesting and challenging.
You can make the game more complex with customizable rules. We like UNO because it’s very accessible for young players and exciting for everyone involved. Older players will still enjoy UNO by introducing more complex rules.
- FUN FAMILY GUESSING GAME: Hedbanz is the fast-paced, easy to play question game of “What am I?” Ask “yes” or...
- KID-FRIENDLY BOARD GAME: The Hedbanz categories are simple (animal, food or object), allowing everyone, even young...
- EDUCATIONAL PLAY FOR KIDS: Playing Hedbanz, kids will develop their deductive reasoning skills with the game’s simple...
HedBanz is a fun party game with an educational aspect. Players wear an elastic head band with a card tucked in it.
Each player takes turns asking questions to guess the animal or item on their card. We like the educational and social aspects of their game.
HedBanz is a great way to introduce games where players have to take turns. Your child will have to use their language and logic skills to ask the right questions and guess what is on their card.
It’s a fun and interactive game that your child will enjoy sharing with friends or siblings. We think this game is a great option if you are looking for something that will keep your child entertained over the years since the game remains interesting as your child finds different ways to ask questions and guess what is on their card.
How To Choose Games For Your Child
It’s easy to feel lost when walking into a toy store. There are so many options to choose from and you might not know which games will be the most beneficial for your child’s current developmental stage.
Different Ways To Play
Your child needs to have access to different types of toys and games because they will benefit from variety. Children need to discover new games regularly and should have access to structured and unstructured play.
Structured play is important because these games typically challenge your child and require them to follow rules. Structured games help your child develop their social and problem-solving skills and usually have educational value.
You should provide your child with board games, card games, puzzles, and other similar games for structured play. Sports are another great example of structured play since there are rules to follow.
Your child needs a balance between structured and unstructured play. Unstructured play helps them develop another set of skills, including creativity and language skills. Unstructured play can also have a social dimension and help your child explore and express their emotions.
Your child can engage in unstructured play via pretend games or dress-up games. Outdoor games and art and craft activities are another great way to have your child engage in unstructured play.
You need to find a balance between structured and unstructured play. Encourage your child to switch between different games and activities.
Children are spending more time in front of screens and your child might ask for video games or other tech-based toys.
Screen time isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but remember that your child needs balance. It’s important to control the content your child has access to and to carefully select the games they play.
Depending on your child’s age, you should look for video games with the Early Childhood, Everyone, or Everyone 10+ rating.
Do some research before choosing a video game for your child. Play the game yourself, look for games with educational elements, and control how much time your child spends playing video games.
How To Choose Games Adapted To Your Child’s Age
Your child’s way of playing will change as they get older. It’s important to keep introducing new games as your child goes through different developmental stages.
A game can become boring once your child outgrows it, and a game that isn’t age-appropriate for a young child can quickly become frustrating.
You can introduce building blocks, puzzles, and dress-up games as early as two years old. Your child will start mimicking the adults around them as early as three years old and gradually develop pretend play scenarios as they get older.
Pay attention to your child’s motor skills when choosing games. Avoid games with small pieces until your child is older, and make sure the game is fun to interact with based on your child’s current level of motor development.
Structured play is something you can start introducing when your child turns four. Make sure the rules are easy to understand and avoid games that could be too complex until your child is older. It’s also important to take your child’s ability to focus into consideration. Avoid lengthy games if you have young children.
The games we recommend above should give you a better idea of what you can use to keep your child entertained and help them develop different skills. Keep in mind that there are plenty of other options to explore.
Last update on 2021-06-25 at 00:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API