A new baby means plenty of preparation. Whether this is your first child or your fifth, getting everything ready for the baby’s arrival usually involves spending quite a bit of money.
To get the most out of their dollar, more parents than ever are choosing to buy high-quality, name brand baby items whenever possible. If they choose wisely, these cribs and other products will last long enough to be passed down from child to child, or other family members as needed.
However, what if you could get more than one use out of a single item?
It is the question that convertible cribs attempt to answer. Often labeled with terms like “2-in-1,” “3-in-1,” and even “5-in-1,” convertible cribs are designed to have multiple configurations, uses, or assemblies. So while they are, first-and-foremost, a baby crib, these items can also be converted into other furniture, like toddler beds, daybeds, and even full-sized bed for young adults.
Choosing what convertible crib is right for you is not easy. Of course, besides focusing on whatever additional uses your new crib may have, you’ll still want to make sure it’s a safe, reliable, and stylish addition to your new baby’s bedroom. That’s why we’ve put together this expert guide to the top convertible cribs on the market today.
Best 11 Convertible Cribs
As always, we’ve conducted exhaustive research on all of our featured picks so that our customers know exactly what they’re buying. Of course, research is especially crucial when it comes to products like cribs, which will be containing such precious cargo. So, without further adieu, let’s take a look at some of our top picks for convertible cribs.
Babyletto Hudson 3-in-1
- VERSATILE MODERN DESIGN: The best-selling Hudson's iconic turned-out foot, rounded spindle design, and open silhouette...
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: The Hudson has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and...
- 3-IN-1 CONVERTABILITY & ADJUSTABLE HEIGHT: The Hudson transitions from crib to toddler bed and daybed, with an included...
Safety is a big selling point when it comes to convertible cribs, and the 3-in-1 Hudson from Babyletto is among the safest in its price range. Featuring a GREENGUARD Gold Certificate, the materials in the Hudson have been scanned for 360 different volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and over 10,000 chemicals. The finish is non-toxic and safe from both phthalates and lead.
From a practical standpoint, the Babyletto Hudson’s 1950s design will suit a wide range of nursery environments. This means the crib will continue to blend in as the child grows. Just by changing the bar configuration on one side, this model can quickly be turned into a toddler bed and daybed, providing safety and comfort to children up until they reach 50 lbs.
According to most consumers, the Hudson 3-in-1 is a great investment, with the New Zealand Pine wood displaying an excellent strength-to-weight ratio. The crib also has a reputation for being both easy to assemble and easy to convert from design to design.
Graco Benton 5-in-1
- 4-IN-1 CRIB: Designed to grow with your baby, the Graco Benton crib easily converts from crib to toddler bed, daybed,...
- SIZE: Crib assembled dimensions – 40.5” L x 29.8” W x 56.7” H | Crib weight – 42 lbs. | Mattress required...
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: With 3 adjustable mattress heights, the Graco Benton Convertible Crib will keep your baby...
If you’re looking to maximize your investment, the Graco Benton 5-in-1 from Storkcraft is an excellent choice. All things considered, this is a stylish and durable convertible crib that can stay with a growing child for years. The Graco Benton boasts a unique, elegant design, and can transform into a toddler bed, day bed, and full-sized bed with the addition of a separate bed frame and extra mattress.
In some cases, consumers are finding this to be the only bed their children will need from birth to adulthood. The arched headboard and multiple finish options ensure that the Graco Benton will complement any design scheme. Additionally, the adjustable mattress heights offer both safety and versatility as your baby continues to grow and explore.
Delta Children Canton 4-in-1
- CONVERTIBLE CRIB: Converts from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed and full size bed with headboard and footboard (Daybed...
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 3 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby...
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you’ll spend plenty of Mommy and...
If you’re looking for a classic look with built-in versatility, the Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 is another excellent choice. Converting from a crib to a toddler bed to a daybed with the included rail addition, this model can also become a full-sized bed with the inclusion of two frame supports. Not only will this stunning crib grow right along with your baby, but it will also look great in virtually any nursery.
Most consumers have praised the Delta Children Canton’s three-position mattress height, which proves helpful as babies learn to stand and sit. To further increase safety, the Canton’s finish is non-toxic and has been proven to meet the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) safety standards, while the strong, cherry wood slats ensure durability throughout the life of the product.
While on the heavier side, the Delta Children Canton 4-in-1 is definitively designed to last through even the most terrible of “terrible twos.”
DaVinci Jayden 4-in-1
- GREENGUARD GOLD CERTIFIED: This product has undergone rigorous scientific testing for over 10,000 chemical emissions and...
- GROWS WITH BABY: Four adjustable mattress positions that can be lowered as your baby begins to sit and stand. Easily...
- QUALITY MATERIAL: Made of solid sustainable New Zealand pine wood -only the best for your baby
Here is another excellent choice that will take children from infant to adolescence. Overall, the DaVinci Jayden 4-in-1 is an affordable option from a reliable manufacturer, and quite a beautiful piece of furniture as well. Though it requires an additional conversion kit to become a full-sized bed, the Jayden includes everything you need to transform this stylish crib into a toddler bed and daybed.
Like many baby products, the DaVinci Jayden is GREENGUARD Gold Certified, non-toxic, and safe from both lead and phthalates. Though it boasts a 1-year warranty, this design has a slat strength of 135 lbs., meaning it will last through even the most rambunctious toddler years. If you’re looking for a bed that can last your child a good long while, the DaVinci Jayden is an excellent choice.
Evolur Julienne 5-in-1
- INSPIRED BY FRENCH COUNTRY ARTISAN CRAFTSMANSHIP - The Julienne is constructed out of kiln-dried hardwood with hardwood...
- 5-in-1 CONVERTIBILITY - The Julienne converts to a toddler bed with our conversion kit (sold separately) and daybed. Add...
- ALLURING FINISHES TO CHOOSE FROM - The Antique Mist and Cloud finishes feature upholstery on the headboard constructed...
Beautiful, sturdy, and incredibly versatile, the Julienne 5-in-1 from Evolur remains a top-rated convertible crib around the world. Truly a gorgeous piece of furniture, this model features an arched upholstered headboard, beaded detail on the trim, and kiln-dried hardwood. Best of all, the hidden hardware ensures the look remains unspoiled while conversion is kept fast and simple.
The Julienne can easily convert into a toddler bed and full-sized bed with the installation of two separate conversion kits. It also includes everything needed to become a lovely day bed. Additionally, the fixed position sides ensure durability and a “solid feel,” while maintaining a safe space for toddlers to explore.
Most consumers love the French-inspired look of this convertible crib, as well as the range of accessories that can be added to create a diverse array of looks. Parents that want to add a little style to their baby’s nursery should be sure to give this model a close look.
Storkcraft Portofino 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer
- CONVERTIBLE DESIGN: The Storkcraft Portofino Fixed Side Convertible Crib converts easily from crib to toddler bed/day...
- ALL IN ONE: Designed with the convenience of an added changing station with a water-resistant change pad, 3 drawers,...
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: With adjustable mattress heights, the Storkcraft Portofino Convertible Crib will keep your...
If you’re the type of parent who wants a little extra convenience with your crib investment, this is the model for you. The Portofino 4-in-1 crib goes beyond simple convertibility and focuses on implementing other “mommy-centric” design features. In this case, that feature is an attached changing table.
The Portofino converts quite easily from a baby crib into a toddler bed, day bed, and full-sized bed (conversion kit required),. The model also maintains its dramatic, high-backed design throughout the conversion process. The attached changing table features three drawers and three shelves for storage of necessities like diapers, baby powder, and cleansing wipes.
Storkcraft was awarded a Women’s Choice Award for America’s Most Recommended Baby Furniture, and the Portofino is definitely an example of form and function meeting to great success. In fact, it remains one of the most popular models from the brand to date.
Delta Children Sutton 4-in-1
- CONVERTIBLE CRIB: Converts from a crib to a toddler bed, daybed and full size bed with headboard (Daybed Rail included;...
- GROWS WITH BABY: The 3 position mattress height adjustment on this crib allows you to lower the mattress as your baby...
- BUILT TO LAST: Strong and sturdy wood construction helps create a dream nursery where you'll spend plenty of Mommy and...
If a more simple, budget-friendly convertible crib is what you’re after, the Delta Children Sutton 4-in-1 is an excellent choice. This simple crib converts into a toddler bed, daybed, and full-sized bed with headboard (kit required). Despite its lower cost, this unit features solid construction and a range of accredited safety features to ensure peace of mind.
One of the most popular features of the Sutton is the adjustable mattress height, which has three positions for when your baby begins to sit, crawl, or stand. Perhaps most important, however, is the rigorous safety standards Delta Children adheres to, making it one of the most reliable and trusted brands in the industry.
Evolur Aurora 5-in-1 with Ivory Lace
- EXQUISITE CRAFTSMANSHIP - The Aurora is built out of Kiln-dried hardwood with fine veneers. A delicate design, an...
- 5-in-1 CONVERTIBILITY - The Aurora converts to a toddler bed with our conversion kit (sold separately) and daybed. Add...
- ALLURING FINISHES TO CHOOSE FROM - Explore a range of nursery themes as you choose from five different finishes! Go...
Here is another beautiful convertible crib from the people at Evolur. The Aurora is a crib design that is sure to please Moms who want a traditional, chic look for her baby’s nursery. Featuring a curved headboard with ribbon and bow spindles and Queen Anne feet, this charming crib can easily be converted into a toddler bed, daybed, and headboard for a full-sized bed frame.
Like many Evolur products, the Aurora features high quality, kiln-dried hardwood construction, hidden hardware, and fixed stationary side rails. By most accounts it assembles quickly and is exceptionally sturdy, proving a safe place for growing babies. If you’re looking to build a true “fairy tale” nursery, the Evolur Aurora 5-in-1 will make the perfect centerpiece.
Storkcraft Steveston 4-In-1 Convertible Crib and Changer
- ALL IN ONE: Features two open shelves and a large drawer for convenient storage. Changing table includes a...
- CONVERTIBLE DESIGN: Converts into to a toddler bed (optional Storkcraft Toddler Guardrail sold separately), daybed and...
- ADJUSTABLE MATTRESS HEIGHT: Three-position adjustable mattress support base (Mattress sold separately)
Another innovative design from Storkcraft. The Steveston 4-in-1 is a more basic take on the convertible crib and changer, smoothly transitioning into a toddler bed, daybed, and full bed, though some of the elements needed for the conversion sell separately. If you’re looking for a less stylized look that will mature along with your baby, this is an excellent model to consider.
The attached changer features two shelves and one large drawer, while the table itself comes with a water-resistant vinyl pad and a safety strap to make extra sure the child stays put. For many new moms, having everything right at their fingertips is a huge must when it comes to designing their nursery, and the Storkcraft Steveston helps accomplish that goal without stretching budgets.
Thomasville Kids Southern Dunes 4-in-1
No products found.
For expecting parents who have a flair for western style, the Thomasville Kids Southern Dunes 4-in-1 convertible crib is a must-see. Transitioning from an adjustable-height crib into a toddler bed and daybed, the Southern Dunes 4-in-1 will last throughout your baby’s entire childhood. Like many other models, it can transition into a full-sized headboard with the addition of a metal bed frame.
Overall, this model is heavy, solidly-constructed, and built to last. Plus, thanks to its simple aesthetics, there’s virtually no way a child will outgrow its design – even when they become teenagers. If you’re looking for a crib that will weather the storm of childhood, the Thomasville Kids Southern Dunes 4-in-1 is a reliable choice.
No products found.
Sorelle Berkley 4-in-1 Crib and Changer
- Brings style and versatility to your nursery with and open shelf and 2 drawers for ample storage and organization
- Open slat design with beautiful rounded detailing
- Changing table is on the right side only
The Berkely 4-in-1 from Sorelle is another convertible crib design that features a built-in changing table, making it an excellent choice for new Moms and Dads that want to maximize space and minimize effort. Though a conversion kit is required to turn it into a full-sized bed, the versatile Berkley easily transitions into a toddler bed and daybed.
Perhaps the best feature of the Berkley is its ample storage space, which includes a shelf and two drawers underneath the changing table. This, combined with its unique, cottage-inspired look, will make it a welcome addition to any nursery, and a logical buy for any parent who wants a comfortable, safe space for their child to rest and grow.
Things to Consider When Shopping for Convertible Cribs
No matter which convertible crib on our list suits your budget and needs, you’re going to have a safe, reliable, piece of furniture that will be with your baby throughout their childhood. However, there are a few additional points to consider when shopping for convertible cribs that will help ensure the best experience for everyone concerned.
- How easy is it to assemble? Not everyone has a toolbox stashed away in their garage, but some of these cribs require more than just elbow grease to assemble, and convert from style to style. Make sure you know whether or not you have what it takes to put your crib together, or you may be calling an expert before you’re done.
- The vast majority of convertible cribs that transform into adult beds will recommend that you purchase a conversion kit or separate frame. However, some cribs need additional purchases for each conversion. Not only should this be factored into your overall cost estimate, but it might be best to purchase them ahead of time.
- Is it durable enough to last a childhood? The main selling point of convertible cribs is that you can mitigate the costs of additional beds as your child grows. However, if the crib isn’t made out of strong enough material to last this long, there’s no point in paying the extra overhead. Read weight requirements and material specifications carefully to determine how durable the crib may be.
- Is it safe for babies, toddlers, and adolescents? Just because a crib is safety rated for infants doesn’t mean it can stand up to a crawling, climbing toddler. The same goes for older children, who may put the limitations of the model’s construction to the test. Be sure to consider all the facts before making your purchase.
- Will your older children reject the style? While most convertible cribs forgo being “overly babyish,” some designs might be rejected by older kids who no longer want to be associated with childish things. As tempting as it may be to buy that perfect princess crib, you have to consider whether your teenage daughter will want it in 13 years.
Convertible cribs are a smart investment for any parent, and while they may be a bit more expensive than standard crib models, they more than make up for that cost with their versatility and longevity. If you’re looking to invest in a convertible crib, any of the models on this list would be a fine choice and will be sure to make your baby, toddler, and young adult very happy.
Featured image source: pexels
Last update on 2021-05-05 at 17:10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API