What should you look for when choosing a wagon you will use to pull your child? We have put together some tips about comparing frames, wheels, and other features. Our product recommendations will give you a better idea of what to look for in a wagon.
Children love riding in wagons. Being pulled in a wagon is a fun experience and a great way to give your little one a break when you take them for a walk. There are a few things to consider when choosing wagons for kids, especially when it comes to safety features. We have put some product recommendations and tips together to help you.
How We Chose Our Ratings
We compared different wagons and selected the ones that you can safely use to pull your child. Here is how we chose our product recommendations and ratings:
- Safety features. We looked at the frames of different wagons to choose products that are safe to use.
- Durability. We gave higher ratings to the wagons with a durable plastic body or a sturdy canvas design.
- Wheels. We compared the size of the wheels and the kind of tires used. We chose wagons with high-quality wheels that deliver a smooth riding experience.
- Fun to use. We gave higher ratings to the wagons that your child will enjoy using.
- Reviews. We also based our recommendations and ratings on what parents think about different products.
Top 10 Best Wagons For Kids
Here is our selection of the best wagons for kids. You will find sturdy, safe, and fun options to consider.
Mac Sports Collapsible Folding Outdoor Utility Wagon
- LARGE CAPACITY - Sets up in seconds, No assembly required! Outside Dimensions Approx: 35" x 20" x 23" Inside Dimensions...
- CONVENIENT COMPACT STORAGE - Wagon folds to only 8" thick! Folded size approx. 29.5" x 20" x 8" and includes a...
- LIGHTEN THE LOAD! - The heavy duty frame allows loads up to 150 lbs., and the Durable 600D Fabric can be easily cleaned....
We like this wagon because it combines a lightweight design with a sturdy frame. The steel frame of the wagon forms a crisscross pattern on the sides to protect your child, but you can also fold this steel frame to easily store the wagon.
The wagon measures 35x20x23,” and is only eight inches thick once you fold it. It comes with a carry bag to easily transport and store it.
You can adjust the position of the handle. There is a large and comfortable loop you can use to pull or push the wagon.
The wheels of this wagon are another standout feature. They have thick and rugged tires suitable for different surfaces. The wheels will provide you with the traction you need to pull this wagon on a dirt road.
You can transport up to 150 pounds with this wagon. There is plenty of room inside of the wagon, but you won’t find any seats or seatbelts. We think this wagon is best if you have an older child who can sit up on their own.
We recommend this wagon because it’s a heavy-duty option, being able to fold it is a plus, and the wheels are great for rugged terrains. However, there are other options to consider for a baby or young toddler.
Radio Flyer 3-in-1 EZ Folding Wagon For Kids And Cargo
- 3 WAGONS IN 1: This collapsible wagon has 3 riding features: hauling, 2 rider seating and bench seating. Easily...
- FOLDS FOR STORAGE: Easy one hand fold allows convenient storage. This wagon is portable and can be stored or taken...
- SAFE FOR KIDS: Radio Flyer wagons pass the ASTM-f963-13 toy safety standard. This wagon includes seat belts and a padded...
This wagon is very versatile. There are two padded seats with seatbelts so a young child can safely sit inside of the wagon.
You can also open the side of the wagon and turn it into a small bench for two people. The wagon is very easy to open thanks to the zippers and canvas fabric.
You can fold the wagon flat to save room when transporting or storing it. There are two cup holders in the front of the wagon.
The wagon only weighs 19 pounds, and you can use it to carry a maximum load of 150 pounds. The wagon features large wheels, but these wheels have flat tires. The flat tires make the wagon suitable for asphalt and other similar surfaces, but we think that pulling this wagon on a dirt path could be difficult.
The dimensions of this wagon are approximately 40x19x33.” Overall, it’s a great option because of the comfortable seat and the possibility to turn the wagon into a bench. However, the tires are somewhat of a downside, and we don’t recommend this wagon for use in an off-road environment.
Radio Flyer Deluxe All-Terrain Family Wagon Ride On
No products found.
This sturdy all-terrain wagon is great if you like to explore dirt roads or want to take your little one to your local park. There are two comfortable seats with seatbelts that you can fold if needed.
We like the large wheels and rubber tires. There are some deep grooves in the tires that will improve traction when you pull the wagon on dirt or grass.
You can fold the seats to have a flat surface or create a covered storage compartment with the seat you don’t need. The wagon comes with a detachable canopy that will provide some shade for your child and protect them from UV rays.
You can carry up to 200 pounds with this wagon. There are four cup holders on the sides of the wagon, and the dimensions are 41x22x14.”
Keep in mind that this wagon has a hard plastic body. Plastic is a lightweight material and this hard plastic body makes the wagon durable while protecting your child from debris when you pull the wagon. However, you won’t be able to fold the wagon when the time to store it comes.
We think this wagon is a great choice in spite of the hard plastic body. It’s a durable option and we like the all-terrain tires and foldable seats.
No products found.
tep2 Wagon For Two Plus Blue
- Easy-latch door opens to two contoured seats and deep leg well with molded-in drain holes
- Has a long handle for easy pulling that folds under the wagon for easy transport and storage
- Two safety seat belts included. Maximum weight in wagon: 75 Pounds.(33.75kg). Recommended Age - 1.5 and up
This blue plastic wagon has some pros and cons. We think it’s a great option if you have a young toddler who is likely to try and climb out of the wagon while you are pulling it.
This wagon sits closer to the ground compared to the other models we have found. This low center of gravity prevents the wagon from tipping over and reduces risks of injuries if your child manages to climb out of the wagon.
However, this design means that there isn’t much clearance under the wagon. The limited clearance won’t be an issue as long as you stay on a flat surface, but you might find it difficult to maneuver this wagon on an uneven surface.
The wheels are rugged and it seems that they could handle different surfaces. However, the low clearance will make it difficult to pull the wagon on grass or a surface with rocks.
Getting in and out of the wagon is fun thanks to the door located on the side. Your child will enjoy being able to get into the wagon without help. You can secure the door with a latch when you are pulling the wagon.
You will find two seats with seatbelts inside of the wagon. You can open one of the seats to reveal a small storage compartment.
This wagon is an interesting option because of the durable plastic body and two seats, but the low clearance might be a drawback.
Radio Flyer My 1st Wagon
- TOY-SIZE WAGON: This small wagon is perfect for stuffed animals, home décor or holding small toys. The wagon body is...
- FEATURES: The wagon has rolling wheels, a seamless steel body, and a working handle. This is the small version of the...
- GREAT FOR CRAFTS AND GIFTS: Turn this Little Red Toy Wagon into a custom gift basket for a baby shower or birthday, or...
This wagon is a miniature version of the classic red wagon you probably had as a child. It’s extremely cute and has an undeniable nostalgic appeal.
This small wagon is perfect if your child enjoys push and pull toys. Your child can load their dolls and favorite stuffed animals into the wagon and pull them around the yard. Loading and unloading the wagon encourages your child to use different motor skills and they will probably create fun pretend play scenarios about transporting their toys as they get older.
The wagon has a sturdy steel frame. It measures 16.5×9.5×7.4.” The dimensions are interesting because the wagon is small enough for your child to sit on it and have their feet safely touch the ground to maintain their balance.
The front wheel steering feature makes the wagon easy to maneuver, even for very young children. We like this miniature wagon because your child can have fun pushing and pulling their toys, and you won’t have to worry about the wagon being a safety hazard due to its small dimensions.
Radio Flyer Full Size All-Terrain Steel & Wood Wagon
- CLASSIC WAGON: the All-Terrain Steel & Wood wagon features an all-steel seamless body and wooden stakes. The extra-long...
- GREAT FOR GARDENING: transport heavy soil or plants with ease! With a weight capacity of 200 lbs., this wagon can haul...
- SPECIFICATIONS: assembled dimensions are 40.5” L x 20.5” W x 37.4” H. Recommended for kids 1 ½+ years. Maximum...
The retro and original design of this wagon stands out. This wagon features a classic red steel frame and wooden sides. We think this wagon will look great in your yard.
The 10” air tires can absorb shocks well and the wagon will deliver a smooth ride on an uneven surface. You can fold the handle under the wagon to save space when you store it, but you won’t be able to fold the wagon itself because of the steel frame.
The axle and wheels will prevent the wagon from tipping over thanks to their wide design. You can easily fit two children inside of this wagon.
The downside of this product is that the bottom of the wagon is bare steel. This surface could get hot if left out in the sun and won’t feel very comfortable for your child.
We don’t recommend this wagon if you have a baby or toddler who needs a comfortable seat. However, this wagon would be fun for an older child or even for a toddler if you want to pull them around the yard.
Little Tikes Lil’ Wagon
- Toy arrives in packaging that reveals what's inside. To keep it a surprise, select "Ship in Amazon packaging" at...
- Pull-along toy wagon loaded with hands-on play and educational content for babies ages 6-36 months
- Smart Stages technology lets you change the learning content as your baby grows
This is a small plastic wagon that your child can use to pull and push their toys. Your child can also sit in the wagon so you can pull them around the house or yard.
We like this wagon because of its small size. It’s close to the ground so you won’t have to worry about it tipping over or about your child falling.
The wheels are for indoor and outdoor use. Your child can pull their dolls and stuffed animals around the house without damaging hardwood floors.
You will need something that is more heavy-duty if you want to take your child to the park or explore nearby dirt roads, but this wagon is a fun toy that your child will enjoy, especially if you give them rides around the house or yard.
Little Tikes Deluxe Ride And Relax Wagon With Umbrella
- Umbrella attaches to wagon to keep kids out of the sun
- Attached cooler can be filled with ice to keep drinks and snacks cold. Comes with seatbelts and drink holders
- Wagon converts to bench for relaxing seating that both children and adults can enjoy
This wagon is perfect for going on a picnic. It’s versatile and features different accessories that will come in handy.
The wagon features a plastic element that you can remove to turn it into a bench. There is a safe locking mechanism that will maintain this element in place when you pull your child in the wagon.
There is a large blue umbrella that covers the entire wagon. We like this feature because UV ray exposure is a risk when your child sits in a wagon without any kind of protection.
There is a small cooler attached to the back of the wagon. You can pack some ice in it and use it to store drinks and snacks and head out to the nearest park or beach.
The wheels might be a drawback. They aren’t rugged and seem somewhat small. We think the wheels make this wagon suitable for hard surfaces but you might have a hard time pulling it in an off-road environment. The dimensions of the wagon are 42x23x16.”
We like this wagon because of the umbrella and the possibility to turn it into a bench. We think it’s a great option as long as you don’t plan on going off-road.
Roadmaster Pacific Cycle 34” Steel Wagon
- Classic design steel wagon with rolled edges for safety
- 8-Inch wheels with hard rubber tires, roll with ease
- Long reach steel handle with no pinch pivot, patented steering system protects fingers and toes
This steel wagon is a great option if you are looking for something your children can use to pull each other around the yard. We recommend this wagon for older children since the sides are very low and a young child could easily fall off.
We like the sturdy steel frame and axles. The 8” wheels are suitable for different surfaces.
The handle features a hinge designed to prevent your child from getting their finger stuck in it. This feature is very important if you plan on letting your children play with a wagon.
There are no seats inside of the wagon. It’s easy to climb in and out of the wagon since the sides are low, but keep in mind that a young child will need a comfortable seat and back support.
Overall, this wagon is a durable option that you can use to haul groceries or supplies and your child will have a blast playing with it if they are old enough to use it safely.
A Few Tips To Help You Shop For Wagons
Which wagon is right for you? Here are a few tips to help you compare wagons for kids and choose the best option for your needs.
If you need a wagon for a toddler or young child, you need to find one that will prevent your child from climbing out of the wagon while you are pulling it. We recommend that you choose a wagon with seatbelts and with sides that are too high for your child to climb.
You also need to consider the size and maximum load of the wagon you are interested in. The maximum load is especially important if you need a wagon that sits two children.
The size of the wagon is important because your child should be able to sit comfortably and have enough room for their legs. However, a wagon that is too large might not provide the support your child needs.
Pay attention to the frame and axles of the wagon. It’s best to choose a wagon with a heavy-duty steel frame or solid plastic body. If you choose a wagon with a canvas body, pay attention to the seams and zippers to assess the quality of the wagon.
The Wheels Matter
Inspect the wheels of the wagon you are interested in. The wheels are a very important feature because they can make a wagon difficult to pull on certain surfaces.
The wheels probably won’t be an issue if you plan on using the wagon on asphalt, concrete, and other hard surfaces. However, you need to look for large and rugged wheels if you need to pull the wagon on off-road terrain.
Large wheels will help you clear rocks and other obstacles. You should also look for tires with deep grooves to get more traction on dirt or grass.
Some wagons have wheels that can rotate. This feature can make the wagon difficult to maneuver if you are pushing it. Look for a wagon with wheels that you can lock in place if you plan on pushing it.
Other Features To Look For
There are a few other things to consider when choosing a wagon:
- A foldable wagon will be easier to store and transport. Look for a lightweight model if you will need to carry it once you fold it.
- Drink holders and storage compartments can come in handy. You will probably need to bring a water bottle and some snacks for your child.
- If you plan on using the wagon during the summertime, look for one that comes with a canopy to provide some shade.
- A mosquito net is another interesting feature to look for, especially if you are planning a camping trip.
- If you have more than one child, look for a wagon with two seats or think about getting wagon cars that you can pull at the same time.
You should also think about features that will make the wagon fun for your child. Bright colors can be appealing, and a feature such as a door that opens and closes can make the wagon more fun to use.
Remember that safety should come first when shopping for a wagon. Look for a product that has a sturdy frame, pay attention to the wheels, and ask yourself if your child can safely sit in the wagon while you pull them.