No matter how consistent you are at changing your baby’s diapers, no matter how many precautions you take, you’ve probably still been confronted with the diaper rash reality. You aren’t alone; we all have to deal with it at one time or another. A baby’s skin is sensitive and can develop a rash quickly. Then, once it happens, all you want is to fix it as quickly as possible, to make your little one comfortable again.
By now, you have seen the section of the baby aisle dedicated to diaper rash creams and ointments. How do you begin to know which one works best? No parent wants to take the risk of worsening their baby’s rash or burning their skin. Not just any cream will do for your little one. That’s why we’ve created this guide with our picks for the best diaper rash cream.
Comparison of the Best Diaper Rash Cream
Diaper Rash Cream FAQs
If you are a first time parent, you might have questions when it comes to diaper rash creams. We concocted a short list of popular questions people have in hopes that it will help you.
1. What is diaper rash cream?
Diaper rash creams are simply topical ointments, creams or pastes that parents can use to treat their baby’s diaper rash. In most cases, you can apply the medicine liberally. Depending on the particular brand and type, you may have to use more or less.
2. What types of diaper rash remedies are there?
There are a few different types of rash remedies. There are ointments, which are better at protecting against moisture, creams and pastes, which are thicker and at times harder to spread. Each type has its pros and cons. Most creams contain zinc oxide, which is incredibly effective at treating and preventing diaper rash.
3. How does diaper rash cream work?
The diaper rash cream soothes the rash and helps heal skin irritation. Stronger creams may work faster or may be best for more severe diaper rash. In addition to healing the skin, most creams provide a protective barrier against moisture. This means that you should use them between diaper changes, to help prevent a rash from forming.
4. Can diaper rash cream be used for other purposes?
Generally, most diaper rash creams can be used for other purposes. Brands such as Desitin and A&D can treat skin irritations in adults, as well as acne and chapped skin.
5. How safe is diaper rash cream?
Manufacturers design diaper rash cream with babies in mind. Given how delicate their skin is, the creams have to be hypoallergenic and sensitive. Even the creams for tougher diaper rash have to be gentle for your baby. Most are safe. Now, keep in mind that some children may have a reaction to the creams. These are rare, but they are possible.
How To Prevent and Treat Diaper Rash
Even when you are doing the best that you can, diaper rash prevention is difficult. While most diaper rashes clear up quickly, there are still some tips to lessen the risk of diaper rash.
Be Careful of Diaper Tightnes
Sometimes, parents will overtighten their baby’s diapers because they want to make sure that the diaper fits securely and won’t fall off. You need to be careful of how tight you close them. The tighter the diaper, the less airflow there will be. The diaper needs to have some airflow because without it the perfect environment for excessive moisture is created. In addition, tight diapers can chafe a baby’s skin.
Change Diapers Often
Always change your baby’s diaper quickly. As soon as it gets wet, you should change it to avoid diaper rash. The more frequently you check your child’s diapers, the less likely their skin is to become irritated.
Use Ointment for Prevention
Some babies are more prone to diaper rashes than others are. If this is the case for your little one, consider using ointment to protect against diaper rash. Ointments and creams that contain zinc oxide create a barrier between the skin and moisture.
Pat or Air Dry
When it comes to drying your baby, be careful of how you dry them. Scrubbing can be irritating and make diaper rash worse. Be gentle and pat dry, or if you have time consider air-drying.
How We Reviewed
When you look up a product, you are bound to find dishonest reviews written by people trying to sell you that product. We’re not here to sell you anything. We scoured the internet for reviews by consumers and looked at the company’s reputation.
Some of the companies on this list have been helping generations of parents combat their child’s diaper rash. There is a reason that some of these brands have such longevity. We’re not interested in only telling you the good things. Every brand comes with its pros and cons. We weighed our reviews on several factors:
- Customer reviews
We make sure to rely on reviews by users and our research of the products.
Top 10 Diaper Rash Creams
Boudreaux’s Butt Paste
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash as a skin protectant (16% zinc oxide)
- Protects irritated skin due to diaper rash and helps seal out wetness
- Discomfort relief starts fast from the first use and provides long-lasting protection
For the last 40 years, Boudreaux’s Butt Paste has been a household name. For parents battling diaper rash, this is the go-to product. Thicker than cream, this paste uses zinc oxide to treat and prevent diaper rash. Not only does it heal skin irritation quickly but using just a little every day can help prevent further rashes.
While some creams and pastes can be hard to clean off your hands after use, Boudreaux’s cleans off easily. On the other hand, it can be difficult to spread over baby’s skin due to its thickness.
A+D Original Diaper Rash Ointment
- Pediatrician recommended: A plus D original ointment is a top choice among baby diaper rash products recommended by...
- Treats and prevents diaper rash: Lanolin and petrolatum combine to help seal out wetness and prevent diaper rash for...
- Protects baby's delicate skin: A+D original ointment temporarily protects the skin of your infant or toddler from...
This is yet another classic diaper rash cream, or in this case, ointment. The formula uses lanolin and petrolatum to soothe diaper rash, with the addition of vitamins A and D. This helps to calm and heal the inflamed skin quickly. You can find A&D in a tub or a tube, depending on how much you need.
For decades, mothers have sworn by A&D as a choice solution to diaper rash. It is gentle enough to use it at every diaper change to seal out wetness that can cause irritation. You should be aware, however, that it can be difficult to clean off your hands.
Maty’s All Natural Baby Ointment
- Head-to-Toe Baby Ointment: A nourishing, all-over baby balm that helps protect baby’s bottom, dry skin, chapped lips...
- All Natural & Petroleum Free: Made with a moisturizing combination of coconut oil, jojoba oil and Vitamin E, this...
- Made with Pure, Simple, Natural Ingredients: Each of our products are naturally drug-free and derived from ingredients...
Maty’s All Natural Baby Ointment uses as many organic ingredients as it can. As an eco-friendly company, they are also concerned with the well-being of your baby. Maty’s All Natural Baby Ointment uses zinc, ultra-purified lanolin and coconut oil. The calming aspect comes from the smell of lavender. While many babies might find it soothing, if you’re worried about the lavender scent, this could be a problem.
- 16-ounce tub of Desitin Daily Defense Baby Diaper Rash Healing Cream works from the first use to help soothe, treat and...
- This skin barrier cream instantly forms a protective layer on your baby's skin for diaper rash relief and prevention
- Made with 13% zinc oxide skin protectant, its fast-acting hypoallergenic formula helps seal out wetness to treat diaper...
Most of the diaper rash creams on this list not only fight the rash but prevent it. Desitin is no different. Wipe it on every time that you change your baby’s diaper. You’ll be grateful that it is easy to wipe off your hands. This cream uses zinc oxide as its main ingredient to heal the skin.
It does have a scent, and while some people find it pleasant, while other reviewers found it too strong. Due to its chemical composition, there have also been parents that reported the rash getting worse after application.
Triple Paste Medicated Ointment
- One 16 oz jar of Triple Paste Diaper Rash Cream
- Medicated ointment that soothes, treats and prevents red, irritated skin caused by diaper rash
- Skin cream for diaper rash formulated with non-nano zinc oxide (12.8%) to seal out moisture, protect skin and promote...
This isn’t your everyday diaper rash ointment. On the contrary, developers gear it towards severe diaper rash. Unlike other ointments, this is about as thick as a paste. While it might be hard to spread at first, it goes on thick and doesn’t move. The thickness gives it the opportunity to work on your baby. If it doesn’t work for you, the company has a money-back guarantee.
Balmex Diaper Rash Cream
- From the Baby experts
- From the Baby experts
- Pediatrician Recommended
There’s nothing worse than not being able to soothe your baby’s discomfort. Diaper rashes are painful, and sometimes nothing will help. Parents swear by Balmex, not only for its healing properties but because it cools the skin as you spread it, leading to immediate relief. In addition to zinc oxide, it uses vitamins B5 and E to treat the skin.
Weleda Calendula Diaper Rash Cream
- Contains 1 - 2.8 Ounce Diaper Rash Cream
- Cares for delicate skin of the diaper area. Soothes skin and diminishes the appearance of redness while supporting...
- Protects against dampness.
Another zinc oxide cream, this one adds almond oil, beeswax and sesame seed oil to its list of ingredients, along with its signature calendula. This cream treats the rash quickly and protects the skin against further moisture. Now, the fragrance itself may be good or bad, depending on the parent. Some parents love the scent, while others think that it is too strong.
Honest Diaper Rash Cream
- Immediately forms a protective barrier on baby's skin to instantly provide relief and soothe irritated skin
- Reduces the duration and severity of diaper rash when applied at the first signs of redness
- Organic shea, jojoba, tamanu, and coconut moisturize and nurture skin. Non-Nano zinc oxide helps reduce and prevent...
If you’re worried about eco-friendly products, then Honest Diaper Rash Cream would help ease some of those worries. It uses no fragrances, parabens, dyes, silicones, phthalates or other allergens. The formula promises a soothing end to diaper rash for your baby. Ingredients include zinc oxide, shea butter and coconut oils.
Two complaints that some parents had was that while it does work on light diaper rash, it isn’t as effective as some of its competitors on the more serious skin irritations, and it tends to sell at a higher price than other brands.
BabyGanics Diaper Rash Cream
- Gentle Natural and Plant-Based Ingredients including Zinc Oxide, Calendula, Aloe & Jojoba
- Helps treat and prevent diaper rash
- Exclusive 100% natural NeoNourish Seed Oil Blend to help nurture and support baby's skin
If you’re interested in all-natural, plant-based diaper rash creams, BabyGanics has the answer. Like most diaper rash creams, this one also soothes and protects. For some parents, it was a little difficult to apply, because the cream tends to come apart. While it does do its job, it does tend to run on the more expensive side.
Burt’s Bees Diaper Rash Ointment
- Treats and prevents diaper rash
- No phthalates, parabens, petrolatum, or SLS
- Safe, effective and natural
Of all the rash creams on our list, Burt’s Bees boasts the highest concentration of zinc oxide at 40 percent! While it’s a powerful cream, it’s also gentle on your baby. Diaper creams with shea butter and lavender oil offer a soothing formula for your baby’s skin. In addition, it smells great. One problem some reviewers had, however, was that it can be difficult to squeeze out of the tube.
Sometimes, the best products are the classics. Our favorite pick is Boudreaux’s Butt Paste. As far as diaper rash treatments on the list are concerned, this one is the thickest and most effective at protecting against further moisture. For the last 40 years, parents have sworn by the product, and it continues to get great reviews.
While there were a lot of great ointments and creams on the list, this one exceeds the others. It’s our favorite for its usefulness. While it’s a little more pricy than a few of the other creams, a little goes a long way with the product. You don’t have to use much to soothe.
Last update on 2021-09-19 at 09:30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API